Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello All!

Author Topic: Hello All!
Hariolor
Member # 7048

- posted      Profile for Hariolor           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a recent college grad in Dublin, Ohio and a very novice writer. I spend a good bit of my spare time writing and have several short stories banging around in my head as well as a novel that I have outlined and have written about 11,000 words of so far. I've been lurking here for awhile and have learned a lot, and am hoping that peeking my head out of the shadows will inspire/encourage me to keep plugging away. At the very least I hope to continue the learning process and maybe get some feedback that's less biased than that of my friends and relatives. If I thought I knew anything worthwhile I'd be willing to give some feedback too...and I might anyway, just take it with a grain of salt, please.

Cheers!

Posts: 26 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack, Hariolor.

quote:

If I thought I knew anything worthwhile I'd be willing to give some feedback too...and I might anyway, just take it with a grain of salt, please.

You know--speaking from experience--you learn more by giving feeback, than by getting it. Everyone has to start somewhere. Lord knows, I've tasted my foot a couple of times, but, I've learned from every one of those times. You learn how to identify the problems you have with the work of others, but what you may tend to do also. As you look for and find problems with other people's prose, so do you learn more of what to look for in your own--and how it can be interpreted and misinterpreted. As for the "grain of salt", keep that in mind when you're reading those that critique you. Though people may sound hard I (and I truly believe everyone else) sincerely want to help.

Good luck with the novel.

PS - Don't ignore the biased feedback. Sometimes, it's nice to have a fistful of positive without any negatives. It buolds the confidence back up, keeps us plugging away.

Posts: 3677 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome from a fellow Ohioan. I'm just down the road in Cinti. Did you just get done with OSU?

Don't worry about the learning curve. I just joined and have been doing some dabbling and posting. I might not always agree with all of the comments I get, but I'm certain that they are posted with the right purpose in mind, which is to try to help me as much as they can.

Look forward to seeing you around the boards,

Thane

Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Hariolor,

Jump in, the water's fine.

Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dublin?! I live in Hilliard! We're neighbors

I am also working on my first novel. I'm about 45000 words in. I read your first 13, and it was good stuff, so keep at it. I have yet to gather the courage to post the 1st 13 from my WiP. Look forward to hearing more from you.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.