Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Don't Stop Me Now (shower me with welcomes)

Author Topic: Don't Stop Me Now (shower me with welcomes)
Cardiac_Hurricane
Member # 7835

- posted      Profile for Cardiac_Hurricane   Email Cardiac_Hurricane         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello peoples of Hatrack.

As a writer, I am cursed.

I suffer from insomnia. The only time I find myself in the flow for sleeping is when I am in the flow for writing. When I tread upon the line between dreams and imaginative freedom; my mind, heart and soul push for one edge, but my body, lacking days (weeks) of sleep, shoves for the other. Thus is my tradegy.

Why not try writing more, you ask. It's because when i'm not in the flow, I'm slamming myself violently against the Wall. Violently, yet in vain.

The Wall is currently prohibiting my way through a flashy urban sci-fi I've been working on for two weeks. I fear and welcome the flow.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome. I to suffer from the malady of the late night write.
Posts: 1860 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welocme to Hatrack.

Algis Budrys and a lot of others say to find a time to write and write everyday at that time. If you can find other times, fine, add them, but everyday at the same time. Inspiration and mood writing is not the writer's way. Even if most of what you put out is garbage, getting in the habit of writing will allow the ideas to flow more freely during the slotted time. Then inspired bursts are a plus, but don't distract you from making completing from what your working on.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited March 16, 2008).]

Posts: 3677 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ozwonderdog
Member # 7837

- posted      Profile for ozwonderdog           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kizment. Dont Stop Me Now, the Queen song, was playing on my computer when I came into the forum, so I HAD to reply!

Was it Shawshank redemtion, or something, that said every wall can come down, even with the tiniest of picks? Just keep picking at it, and eventually the wall will come down.

I was "given permission" if you will, that when I hit writer's block, or The Wall, to go off and read a book, or play a game on my PS2, something that is creative somehow. It relaxes my mind, distracts me some, so I don't bash my head on the wall trying to take it down. That works for me.

I love a good gritty urban sci fi. I've written some urban fantasy stuff and enjoy mixing up the genre myself. So it'd be good to see you get yours up and running.

Welcome to hatrack. This place be goooood

Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insomniacs unite! - Sometime later tonight...

Welcome, Hurricane. Don't blow any E-papers off any E-desks.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cardiac_Hurricane
Member # 7835

- posted      Profile for Cardiac_Hurricane   Email Cardiac_Hurricane         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the warm hospitality guys, and the advice. When I make it big, and I'm up there on a stand accepting some award like the nobel prize or Nebula, I'll be sure to mention you guys for helping me write down the Wall.

Ozdog (toto), you forgot to mention, that even after you bring the Wall down, you have to crawl through three football fields worth of human waste (submissions or editing?).

I love how even though the Shawshank Redemption is probably King's most cringe-worthy tale, it is also his most inspirational.
(That sounded really cheesy).

[This message has been edited by Cardiac_Hurricane (edited March 18, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Cardiac_Hurricane (edited March 18, 2008).]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth Petra
Member # 7126

- posted      Profile for Darth Petra   Email Darth Petra         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like to sleep either, but since I still live with Mommy (not for long, hopefully), I can't really prowl the house at night.

I hate that wall.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.