Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello

Author Topic: Hello
MorwenElda
Member # 7871

- posted      Profile for MorwenElda   Email MorwenElda         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am Morwen, though I would hope that much is already clear. I will be turning 19 next month, and have been an OSC fan for many many years. I am thrilled at the opportunity to work with all you fine people and grow as a writer.

For years I always considered my forte to be poetry, until I actually took a class on short stories. Since then I've adored writing prose, and have aspired to become published. I've been working on my current novel for about two years now. I finally feel like it's nearing completion, but I know I still have a lot of work to do. In the meantime, there is nothing wrong with continuing to improve.

I feel safe in saying the hardest part of writing anything for me is the title. It took fifteen minutes for me to come up with "Hello" for this post, though that may have something to do with the fact I've been ill and tired.

At any rate, I look forward to getting to know you all.

Morwen

Posts: 14 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I finally feel like it's nearing completion, but I know I still have a lot of work to do.

It's a great feeling when you finally cross that threshhold. Completion is a kind of high for me, whether it's a short story or full-length work.

As another told me: from one newbie to another, welcome!

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorwenElda
Member # 7871

- posted      Profile for MorwenElda   Email MorwenElda         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I originally had developed an idea for a trilogy while in my short story class, and I fell completely in love with the idea. But I felt like at my current skill level in writing, I wouldn't be able to do the story the kind of justice that it deserves, which is why I took on my current project.

I started it during NaNoWriMo, which was a fantastic way to start. Since then I've spent a long time pursuing other hobbies, but it's always been in the back of my mind, and now the story feels fresh to be finished. So while I know I still have many thousands of words to write, and then several edits to do, it doesn't feel like the daunting task it did a few months ago.

Thanks for the welcome!

Posts: 14 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Titles are funny. Either I have a title before I begin writing the story or I can never come up with one. I once put off submitting a story for over a month although it was finished because I couldn't name it.

Welcome. This is a great group.

Posts: 1860 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.
Posts: 1161 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack. Titles aren't a problem. You can post a list of them, and we'll gladly shoot down most of them.
Posts: 3677 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with IAB: If you're having difficulty with making a title just post anythng that comes to mind. The sharks need to be fed too, you know?
Welcome.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Igwiz
Member # 6867

- posted      Profile for Igwiz   Email Igwiz         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome. Glad to have you here.
Posts: 269 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Darth Petra
Member # 7126

- posted      Profile for Darth Petra   Email Darth Petra         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My "hello" post was awesomer!

Sorry, I'm just bored out of my skull right now. Nobody's on any of my internet forum haunts, and I'm almost desperate enough to return to Neopets.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorwenElda
Member # 7871

I'm probably going to have to take everyone up on their offer with titles. The farther I've gotten through my novel the less the working title really seems to fit. I mean, in theory it fits, but it just doesn't feel right.

Ahh Neopets, possibly one of the most entertaining time wasting websites out there. Destruct-o-match II is my biggest addiction there.

Darth Petra
Member # 7126

- posted      Profile for Darth Petra   Email Darth Petra         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep getting iced. I really need to stay off the message boards.

I suppose I could go to runescape.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dane.Schiffer
Member # 7889

- posted      Profile for Dane.Schiffer   Email Dane.Schiffer         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! I'm glad to find someone around my age in this forum. I'm new as well but i can still say welcome, can't I? So, welcome!

[This message has been edited by Dane.Schiffer (edited March 31, 2008).]

Posts: 12 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.