Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello

Author Topic: Hello
WordViewer
Member # 7892

- posted      Profile for WordViewer   Email WordViewer         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I've been nosing around for awhile and I have learned more here than in school. I figured it was time to join. I probably won't post a story, err 13 lines for a while but will comment on what I like. Is it OK to ask why you all have done certain things in your stories and how far back is OK to post on the stories. I've been reading for a couple weeks, mainly in the shorts.

Thanks,

Pound

Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack.
Posts: 3682 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to hatrack. I don't see why you couldn't go back a ways into the archives. Some stories might have been submitted and the poster on to other things, but there is no reason why you couldn't.

It is best that you make note of that in your post, so it doesn't introduce a new chain of new comments into forgotten stories on the forum.

Come to think of it, it might be best not to bring back too many dead bodies.

Posts: 1864 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!

Comment as long as you like, and post your 13 when you feel ready. Concerning bringing up old stories, you could always try emailing the author of the story, if it is dead, and ask certain questions about it.

I would love to answer any questions such as those. Writers always love to talk about themselves (or their writing).

JustInProse
Justin Armstrong

Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.
Posts: 1165 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello.
A warning: If you do get an author talking about himself and his work it is almost impossible to get him to stop. Tread carefully.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WordViewer
Member # 7892

- posted      Profile for WordViewer   Email WordViewer         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool
Posts: 11 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WordViewer
Member # 7892

"Let sleeping stories lie." I can't believe I just quoted my dad.

Thank you all, I look forward to reading your stuff.

[This message has been edited by WordViewer (edited April 03, 2008).]

Stagecoach
Member # 7875

- posted      Profile for Stagecoach   Email Stagecoach         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking forward to meeting some of your characters.

Welcome.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickfisher
Member # 1214

- posted      Profile for rickfisher   Email rickfisher         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack.

As for commenting on (or asking questions about) old stories--you should note that while there is a small core of people who stick around for many years, and a pretty solid batch who are active for maybe 6 months to 2 years, there are also a lot of people who post one story and disappear, or at best hang around for only a short while. I certainly wouldn't post questions to anyone who does not seem to be currently active. An email query, though, as JustinProse suggested, makes perfect sense. It's probably also the preferred method for any topic whose last reply is a more than a month or two old.

(You can also ask the critiquers why they made a certain comment, if it isn't clear to you.)

[This message has been edited by rickfisher (edited April 05, 2008).]

Posts: 932 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.