Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Howdy

Author Topic: Howdy
sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been lurking here on and off for a while now, but I recently sat my rear down and began writing on a regular basis - so I thought I'd introduce myself. I like both sci-fi and fantasy, but I've been tending more towards fantasy lately. I seem to lack the ability to name people/places/things while writing, or I think I'd make more progress. I'm working on it.

Scientific programming is my day job. I have a Master's degree in meteorology. No, I don't know what the weather is going to be like tomorrow. No, I'm not on tv. And no, I don't mind being involved in a profession where you can be wrong 50% of the time and still have a job. My work actually deals with weather satellites.

I look forward to getting involved on this forum and learning even more from all of you.

Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, sjsampson. Here's a link to the Hatrack Utility Belt, also known as the H.U.B. It's totally unscientific, but I hope you'll consider it interesting.
Posts: 8275 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
innesjen
Member # 6126

- posted      Profile for innesjen   Email innesjen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack!
Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello there, sjsampson -

Welcome to Hatrack! There are so many new members that I am getting behind. Therefore, stated simply, I welcome you with a scene from Star Wars -

Two Stormtroopers shooting the breeze:
"What was that?"
"Ah, it's nothing. Outgassing."

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've already been offered the HUB.

Now, consider, Heinlein's Rules: the BASIC program!

10 WRITE
20 END WRITE
30 PRINT
40 MAIL
50 IF REJECTED THEN GOTO 120
60 IF ASKED TO REVISE THEN GOTO 80
75 IF SALE MADE THEN GOTO 140
70 IF WAITING THEN GOTO 150
80 REVISE PER EDITOR
90 RE-SUBMIT PER EDITOR
100 GOTO 150
120 RE-PRINT
125 RE-MAIL
130 GOTO 150
140 CELEBRATION
150 WRITE NEW
160 GOTO 20

Notice, there are no GOSUB in this program.

Why? The GOSUB, as it applies to Heinlein's Rules, invariably lacks a RETURN statement, and thus you end up leaving the program altogether and get stuck in a productionless, endless loop.

Examples of GOSUB would be:

WORRY OVER REJECTION
RE-WRITE BASED ON INTERNAL CRITIC
RE-WRITE BASED ON GROUP CRITIC
PROCRASTINATE (the biggest one!)

And millions of others. If you've been doing this for any length of time, you will have invented your own subroutines that have put you into a productionless, endless loop.

And then, of course, it's time to reboot! (Remember the Apple II?)

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! Glad to have you with us. Come on in and have a seat right here. I bet you're ready to get out of the rain. Funny thing is there was no hint of rain in the forecast this morning .

Welcome to Hatrack .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi SJ!
You came just in time, I have a character who is a marine biologist. She took meteorology as a science in college. How would those two work together?

Okay, now that I'm done hanging you upside and collecting all the spare knowledge that falls out of your pockets, WELCOME I was wondering when you were going to stop lurking and join in on the fun. I'm not brand new to hatrack, but fairly fresh to the place myself. Just between you and me, I'm glad I joined. If I ever run out of ideas for characters... I can just come here. There's plenty of em! I've found that everyone is more than willing to help where they can, and that is such a great thing to have when you're trying to find your writing footing.

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You guys are a riot. Thanks for the welcome.

I miss my Apple II. Reagan, your character could have taken an intro course as a weird science elective. More realistically, she could have taken an atmosphere and oceans course which would have discussed things like the feedback between the two. The ocean is a huge carbon (CO2) sink, and I imagine as a marine biologist, she might have an interest on the impact that has on the wildlife? Climate change doesn't really interest me, but it would probably interest her.

Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
much obliged! if you ever have a character who deals with children or home improvement; I'm a limited resource and willing to return the favor any day!
Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK troop, listen up. They gave you your HUB at reception battalion.

Now you're in it. This is Basic. You will need your TA-50. Don't lose anything or we'll take it out of your LES and I'll make you do so many push-ups, you'll puke.

Roger?

[This message has been edited by Brad R Torgersen (edited September 19, 2008).]

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sjsampson -

I was curious. It seems to me that I read somewhere that the ocean needs a catalyst, such as kelp, to absorb the CO2. It seems like I remember the kelp would sink when it filled with CO2 and then release the gas deep underwater as it converted it to Oxygen. I might be completely wrong about this, but I remember something along those lines.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlizarinFire
Member # 7303

- posted      Profile for AlizarinFire   Email AlizarinFire         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome, a fellow meteorologist! I love your paragraph of standard meteorologist replies. I said all of them more times than I care to remember. Out of curiosity, where'd you get your Masters? I got my undergrad at OU a few years ago.

In any case, welcome to Hatrack!

Cheers,

Melissa

Posts: 15 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjsampson
Member # 8075

Oops! Looks like I missed some questions.

philocinemas - Sounds about right.

AlizarinFire - Master's degree at OU. I'm out east now and I really miss chasing.

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings! Have some saltwater taffy!
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.
Posts: 1161 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.