Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello

Author Topic: Hello
xyzzy
Member # 8222

- posted      Profile for xyzzy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings, all.

I am interested in trying my hand at writing, and I thought a community would help me focus. My biggest problem over the year is lack of follow-through, so I want to try to overcome my problem with procrastination!

I look forward to getting to know you.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, xyzzy.

This is a link to the Hatrack Utility Belt, also known as the H.U.B. and I think there might be something to help with procrastination in there somewhere. If there isn't, we'll need to add something someday....

Posts: 8269 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Private xyzzy, your days of idle keyboarding are OVER! I will MOTIVATE you, Private xyzzy! You will not procrastinate! You will not even THINK about procrastinating! You will follow Heinlein's Rules to the letter, do you understand me, Private! Now drop and give me 25. Then recover, collect your TA-50, and MOVE OUT!

[This message has been edited by Brad R Torgersen (edited September 24, 2008).]

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
innesjen
Member # 6126

- posted      Profile for innesjen   Email innesjen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack!

Posts: 72 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Catchy user name, though I'm not sure just how to pronounce it .

Regardless, we're glad you've decided to join us. Hopefully, philocinemas has decided on a movie for next month. So if you'll follow me down this way, I'm sure we can get you seated where you can watch it in comfort. In the meantime, feel free to get acquainted with the rest of us. We're all here to help and/or learn .

Welcome to Hatrack .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings! have a macaroon!
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack! I am the resident cinemaphile, but don't let that bother you - I also enjoy reading and writing (sometimes two out of three at the same time).

I see Merlion gave you a macaroon. Beware, his "treats" sometimes have side effects. Macaroons were a favorite treat in the 1998 movie, The Avengers. I hope Merlion didn't supply the treats for that movie, but it could explain a few things (like how 3 excellent actors could all make the same mistake on agreeing to a bad script).

Anyhow, do you have a movie that inspired your love for sci-fi? - Just something I like to ask before...

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xyzzy
Member # 8222

- posted      Profile for xyzzy           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, all! Glad to have met you! I have slipped the belt on, eaten the macaroon, and am ready to get down to some writing!

Most of my inspiration has come from other books, but from movies too, including Dark City and Hitchhiker's Guide.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dark City is one of my all-time favorite science fiction movies. Good choice!
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reagansgame
Member # 8149

- posted      Profile for Reagansgame   Email Reagansgame         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi xyzzy, at first I thought your name was wuzzy, as in fuzzy wuzzy. I'll second it's uniqueness.

Procrastination is one of my favorite past times. What else do you like to do when you're not doing the things that you should be? Hatrack is excellant when it comes to putting writing off, but it makes up for it by inspiring and pushing people to do new things or grab for goals.

[This message has been edited by Reagansgame (edited October 01, 2008).]

Posts: 243 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.
Posts: 1161 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.