Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Slàinte !

Author Topic: Slàinte !
JudyMac
Member # 8354

- posted      Profile for JudyMac   Email JudyMac         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone

I'm a new member, Judith MacCaellich, but that is such a mouthful, just call me JudyMac. I'm a Scot, born on Skye, worked near London, and now live in France.

I have been writing since school, many years ago, mainly for my own enjoyment. I have been published, one SF short story and one poem, both unpaid (other than magazine copies), so nothing to brag about.

For the first time in my life I have a writing room, well it also doubles as a library, and fibre/fabric stash area, but I don't worry about that. Having written short stories for years, I have finally decided to try novel length, so tips and techniques on making that change are very welcome.

Want a peek into my writing life?

Writing, for me, starts with the world and a "what if" scenario, my room descends into chaos as I create a strong and believable history.
Then I ask myself "Who lives here?" and I wait for the characters to arrive. Usually they arrive as full blown people with interests, clothes, and attitude. The story? Well that is just writing down what they say, and more importantly letting them say it in the way that they want to.

I recently had trouble when I kept insisting that the opening was set on Halloween, then gave in in disgust after 8 attempts to get the story started, and yelled at my lead character. She just turned around and asked me if I wanted to know how it happened, of course I said "Yes". She opened on Midwinters eve! Enough said.

The room sits in chaos as the plot thickens, with more layers of notes, pictures, and CDs strewn across the floor. Then the story ends. The room is cleared, the manuscript put away to rest for a few weeks.

Just as re-writing / editing cleans the manuscript up, so the room I work in begins to sparkle, dusted and polished, waiting.

Then I re-write and edit surrounded by order.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack! That's great that you have been published. Can't wait to see what you have written.
Posts: 962 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there. Come on in and make yourself at home. I hope you like it here in our magical treehouse. Your luggage has been magically transported up into your room, and you're welcome to explore the rest of the place including the kitchen, the rec room, the deck out back... That door over there leads to the space station, which is pretty neat. By your pose, I'd say you need to use the bathroom. That would be right over there.

Welcome to Hatrack .

Posts: 1319 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JudyMac
Member # 8354

- posted      Profile for JudyMac   Email JudyMac         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aww good, a writers toilet. Post-It-Notes and pens for late night scribbling, and the ability to flush the working edition after editing. Sounds good to me, what is the view like?
Posts: 31 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcomes from the deck!! view is great and you get the best reception there for your cell phone if it's also your modem like mine is! aloha from Hawaii btw
Posts: 686 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We even have room for your fibre/fabric stash. (I wonder how many writers have one of those as well? Mine is more of a yarn stash, though.)
Posts: 8003 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempest
Member # 8242

- posted      Profile for tempest   Email tempest         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack JudyMac!

Gee, I wish I had one of those magical writing/fibre/fabric rooms. I have all the supplies....

Join us on the deck for a spectacular view and some inspiration (and thanks for sharing some of your own already!)

Enjoy

tempest

Posts: 171 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome. (That is way too pedestrian a welcome for me.)
Posts: 599 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is MacCaellich pronounced Mac-Kay-Lick; Mac-Cue-Lick; Mac-Cawl-Lick; Mac-Cull-Lick or Mac-Call-Lick? Just curious. (I love your accent, by the way. And I'll protect you throughout the pasty-nugget and vanilla-pickle war. Fortunately you just missed the chili bean uprising, Our Fearless Leader--She Who Must Be Obeyed--took off the kid gloves and crushed the infidel. Made his enchilada a little bit hottah!)

Welcome to Hatrack!

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited December 11, 2008).]

Posts: 3662 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JudyMac
Member # 8354

Thank you all, I shall definitely come out onto the deck and share a good bottle of Burgundy with you all. When I'm not taking part in the pickle flinging contest of course

It is pronounced Mc Kay Lick.

The fibre stash and my spinning wheel have been put next to my writing desk, so if you happen to knit, we won't run out of yarn! A Knit-Crit group or a Spin and tell session may be on the cards. Anyone got a harp? I left mine at home, it wouldn't fit in the luggage allowance.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mother was a McCauley...
Posts: 3662 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.