Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » New Here

Author Topic: New Here
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm new here. I just found this site yesterday, from a link off of sff.net. I found sff.net, in turn, from a reference in an article in the SFWA Bulletin. (Not a member, just a subscriber at this point.)
Technically, I'm a paralegal. I say technically because I only recently got my paralegal certificate and, in this economy, it's not much easier breaking into the legal field than it is to get a first book published. Before that, I was a software developer (visual basic programmer) and before that I was a financial analyst.
I've always had an interest in writing, ever since college. Actually before. But college is when I first started thinking that maybe, someday, I could actually write something that would be published. But then life, and the need to make a living, intervened and I didn't get much writing done for a long while.
Now, I'm home, taking care of my elderly mother. That's when I went back to school and got my paralegal certificate. Too many years out of software development and you'd have to learn everything all over again. It's all changed and I haven't kept up. I also started writing again.
I've finished a novel (fantasy) that has been swimming around in my head for probably the last twenty years. It's probably one or two revisions away from being done. I hope. I've already been through it four times. But I know there's at least one more revision before it's really done.
I actually think that the delay was a good thing. I'm certain that my story and my characters have a lot more depth than they would have had twenty years ago. And the story isn't linear, like my earlier work. Characters end up doing things they didn't plan on, getting distracted, even finding out that they were trying to do the wrong thing all along.
To my surprise, I found out halfway through this novel that it's really a trilogy. There are two more stories involving these characters that need to be told. I've finished a first draft of the second novel, too. But it's going to need almost a complete rewrite, not just a revision.
I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions. A lot of them about how to go about actually submitting my work. I admit, I'm clueless.
I'm really glad to have found this forum.

Posts: 3944 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You were doin' good till you mentioned you were a software engineer. (Rolleyes)
Posts: 599 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never a software engineer. Just a visual basic programmer, which is not nearly as techie. And only for a couple of years. I was a financial analyst a lot longer.
Posts: 3944 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Patrick James just wishes he were a software engineer.

Welcome, Meredith. There will be others along to greet you, and some of them will be rather, shall we say, "interesting?"

Posts: 8030 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Meredith!
Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not all that interesting, just another boring one.

Posts: 962 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me too. I'm very mild and--dare I think it--tame. I do have fever-spells now and then (and apprently sever infections in four teeth at once!) but, I' perfectly normal. And inching toward some fresh chocolate pie my wife made to torture me with. Well, I'll show her!

Oh, and Welcome to Hatrack. And close the damn door! You want us all to catch colds???

Posts: 3662 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JudyMac
Member # 8354

- posted      Profile for JudyMac   Email JudyMac         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Meredith
I'm also a newbie , so we can explore the house together. Put your bags and things in your room and come and join us on the deck for a nice glass of Burgundy!

Posts: 31 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sherpa7
Member # 8321

- posted      Profile for Sherpa7   Email Sherpa7         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack, Meredith!
So your a paralegal...maybe you could come to work for me. I've just announced my candidacy for the governorship of Illinois. My entire platform is thus: I can't be as bad as some

Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Need a campaign manager? (Just kidding KDW.)
Posts: 599 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome and have fun here. Me, I'm still trying to find the closet. I hung up my coat when I got here and haven't been able to find it since, so I haven't been able to leave.
Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempest
Member # 8242

- posted      Profile for tempest   Email tempest         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Meredith!

Come on in. Hope you enjoy your stay.
This is a great place.

Jayazman- perhaps that wasn't the closet you put your coat in.
Why would you want to leave anyway?!?

Enjoy.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bet you anything that what you thought was the closet was the door to the space station. It's right over there. I can go with you if you wish to go look for it, but I'm trying to figure out why you want to leave? Did we do something wrong? If you do want to go outside the treehouse, you can accompany me to the stables while I visit with my good Foundation Appaloosa mare. Do you like horses?

Welcome to Hatrack .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.