Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello

Author Topic: Hello
Garlic Coachman
Member # 8432

- posted      Profile for Garlic Coachman   Email Garlic Coachman         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With retirement only a handful of years away, this old soldier has decided to grow up to become a writer. I've spent my time and energy on my career and family (my better half - CPT Coachman and our 5 children) instead of my hobbies. So now is the time to gear up for some serious putzing for the next 40 or 50 years.

My love for SF began as an infant on my mother's lap as she read her latest find aloud, explaining to my godmother that it didn't matter what my mom read but how she read it. I admire works along the lines of Arthur C. Clark and David Weber.

I look forward to getting to know this community, sharing any insights I may have and learning a heck of a lot.

Very respectfully,

MAJ "Garlic" Coachman

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're very welcome here. We are always ready to read insights from new minds and share what we know--or what we think we know--so I would say you have come to the right place.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beware when Patrick James is acting sane. That scares me. Read what he posted for some of the other new members, and you'll see what I mean.

In the meantime, you sound a lot like me. I still have a few years to go to retirement, but I'm to that point where I'm looking forward to it.

So come on in and make yourself comfortable. There's always lots to do and see in our magical treehouse and plenty to inspire your writing talents. I was heading for the library to do some more research for one of my stories, but I can forego that to show you around.

Welcome to Hatrack .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings! Have a lovely, intensely fudgey and totally garlic free brownie!
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JASU
Member # 8406

- posted      Profile for JASU   Email JASU         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MAJOR, Sir. I would like to thank you for your service. Because of people like you we are still able to write and read whatever we wish. Thank you. I hope your writing soars to new levels!
JA--

[This message has been edited by JASU (edited January 22, 2009).]

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome and aloha from Hawaii
Posts: 686 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garlic Coachman
Member # 8432

- posted      Profile for Garlic Coachman   Email Garlic Coachman         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
“Now this is the place to be!” I think (almost out loud) as I follow my most gracious guide around the tree house. Munching contently on a rich brownie, I begin consolidating a few pointers:
1. Be careful where I put my jacket or it will be lost in space.
2. Find out when Merlion-Emrys brings in brownies.
3. Note mischievous glint in Patrick’s eye…. Hmmmmmm.
I share a handshake and some pleasant conversation with JASU.
4. Remember to bring in unit hat and mug for JASU.
Further into my tour, I am introduced to honu whose warm “Aloha” is given with a big grin.
5. Put Hawaii down for my top choice for my next PCS move.
I, of course, thank my guide for her time and courtesy. I hope that it hasn’t put her behind on her research. Yup, this is DEFINITELY the place to be.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can I take anyone by surprise if they are warned. Curses. I am going to my room and pout. Get me when Merlion has made more brownies, I think the Major has eaten them all.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aw, come on, PJ. You don't want me getting bored, do you? I need you to keep things spiced up around here .
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Garlic! Is that what we are to call you?

PJ, what are you thinking? Merlion gets his brownies from the Treehouse's fridge when no one's looking. Oddly, the brownies come out warm...

Posts: 1137 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

Ain't magic grand ?
Garlic Coachman
Member # 8432

aspirit, thanks for the welcome and Garlic is just fine.

PJ, don't worry... I won't dime you out. I'll just sit in this comfy ol' chair, munch on a majic brownie, and watch the show. Num yummy!

Garlic Coachman
Member # 8432

Joined FB and the Hatrack Writer's Group. Still trying to figure out who is who between here and there although She Who Must Be Obeyed was a no brainer!
Joseph Forrest
Member # 8460

- posted      Profile for Joseph Forrest   Email Joseph Forrest         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy Major. I hope you like it here. I'm currently an enlisted man in the Air Force so it's nice to have some company in this crazy place. So, let me know if you need anything and be wary of the little goblins serving drinks. I'm pretty sure they were uninvited.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garlic Coachman
Member # 8432

Hello, Joseph.
There is also a Naval representative: tgwharton. However, his sub just left and we will not be hearing from him again until Apr or May.

AmieeRock
Member # 8393

- posted      Profile for AmieeRock   Email AmieeRock         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmmmm, just how magic are the brownies....

Who cares, it's chocolate. Someday I'll bring some good ol' Maine whoopie pies.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garlic Coachman
Member # 8432

Oh, no! Magic Brownies....what was I thinking? I have to pee in a cup this week.....
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Virtual brownies have absolutely no effect on real people, but they taste as wonderful as you can imagine, since they're virtual. (And they have no calories! YAY!)
Posts: 8270 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmieeRock
Member # 8393

- posted      Profile for AmieeRock   Email AmieeRock         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have to pee in a cup? is that a result of Clinton's budget cuts? Can't they afford to give our soldiers toilets anymore?!

Posts: 72 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Garlic Coachman
Member # 8432

LOL...no drug testing and brownies might not go together, depending on just how "magical" they are... Bad attempt at humor...sorry
Toby Western
Member # 7841

- posted      Profile for Toby Western   Email Toby Western         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.

[This message has been edited by Toby Western (edited February 05, 2009).]

Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.