Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » New Around Here

Author Topic: New Around Here
bemused
Member # 8465

- posted      Profile for bemused   Email bemused         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, a little bit about myself and my interest in writing. I am a recent graduate in English and Philosophy, and have always been interested in literature but also storytelling (which unfortunately is rarely valued in academia). SciFi and Fantasy have always been what I have read for pleasure and also what I have always been tempted to write (many half-baked ideas and partially completed stories but nothing complete). These genres (and sub-genres) are able to explore complex ideas while still crafting a good yarn. I am particularly interested in personal identity and what scifi allows a writer to accomplish. Asimov's short stories and OSC's Worthing Saga are some of my favorites. I look forward to getting involved, mostly in the open discussions about writing, but in giving feedback as well. And who knows, eventually asking for some feedback of my own.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack, Bemused!
Posts: 1137 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sherpa7
Member # 8321

- posted      Profile for Sherpa7   Email Sherpa7         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Bemused! Welcome! Welcome!

Isn't exploring complex ideas what this entire exercise is about? And crafting a good yarn is just the bonus! Science fiction and fantasy writers should rule the world, or at the very least we should be able to fix it. After all, we aren't the we've-always-done-it-this-way sort of folk, are we? (Do I hear an "Amen?")

As far as the half-baked ideas and partially completed stories, I hear you. I have a filing cabinet full of the same. Shame on me for killing all those trees.

Maybe someone will give you the grand tour of the treehouse.

Amanda

Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya know, that grand tour stuff is getting complicated with all the new stuff that keeps getting added on. It's a good thing the new koi pond is always the right temperature and ice free. But, hey, come on in and make yourself right at home. Seems that beside the space station and the deep see observatory, we now have a koi pond (No offense, folks, but I've never been real thrilled with fish, except on a plate. Ummmm Ummmm!). Maybe sometime we'll even get the movie theatre fired back up again in our magical treehouse. Maybe.

So, anyway,

Welcome to Hatrack .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joseph Forrest
Member # 8460

- posted      Profile for Joseph Forrest   Email Joseph Forrest         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy bemused! Enjoy your time here. I already love this place and I've only been here a few days. It's a nice atmosphere here and people don't mind hurting your feelings a bit about your writing. That's a good thing though. It always makes you better. If hurt feelings leads to me getting a book deal one day I will personally thank everyone here.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If any of us strike too close, put us where you want us.

Crystal, maybe you'd like Lightning-Back. He's not an average fish.

Posts: 1137 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toby Western
Member # 7841

- posted      Profile for Toby Western   Email Toby Western         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Bemused. I think I ran into Befuddled and Bedazzled earlier...
You know, The Worthing Saga is one of my favorite of OSCs books. I'm surprised that it rarely comes up when talking about his work. Did you read the precursor "Hot Sleep"? Probably only available from dodgy second hand book dealers, these days, but I found it moving in a way that its more refined successor never quite managed to recreate.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bemused
Member # 8465

- posted      Profile for bemused   Email bemused         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all for the wonderful welcome!

Toby, I am sad to say that I haven't had the pleasure of reading Hot Sleep. Every time I walk into one of the independent bookstores around my parts I take a look for a copy but so far, no luck.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait, don't thank anybody yet. I haven't gottn a chance to welcome you. Damn. Too late.

Well, welcome, anyway.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings! Have some macaroons!

Somebody put in a koi pond and it wasn't me?!

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Finally someone who appreciates "Worthing Saga". I think we will get along fine. Welcome aboard.
Posts: 1860 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LucyintheSky
Member # 8475

- posted      Profile for LucyintheSky   Email LucyintheSky         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh you're certainly not the only Worthing Saga fan out there!
Posts: 54 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome and aloha from Hawaii!!
Posts: 686 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christian
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for Christian   Email Christian         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a good plan bemused. I look forward to reading your work someday.
Posts: 135 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.