Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Jennywinnie new member

Author Topic: Jennywinnie new member
Jennywinnie
Member # 8510

- posted      Profile for Jennywinnie   Email Jennywinnie         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok so I don't know if this will work but here it goes.

I'm Jenny and I've been writing on and off since I was six. I was in the Navy as an Arabic Linguist for 6 years, and I am now a stay-at-home mother of three. I'm 26 going on 27 and I thought, ok now it's time to really get serious about writting.

I'm always writing short stories, and am currently working on my first novel. We'll see how that goes. I write in many different genres: sci-fi, fantasy, mainstream fiction, horror, romance, inspirational-the list keeps getting longer. I think, though I have a special love of sci-fi/fantasy.

My favorite authors growing up were Anne McCaffery, Orson Scott Card, Tolkien, Charolette Bronte, Jane Austin, and Terry Brookes.

I also love young adult books such as Harry Potter, and Twighlight. I really admire their skill at keeping me hooked even though, especially in Twighlight's case, alot of it is cliche. I've read alot of very badly done vampire romances, and I was thinking, ok here it goes again; but was completely surprised with how she hooked me. J.K. Rowling is just awesome, what can I say? I want to be able to do what they do.

I'm currently at the point where I can easily write a short story but they tend to get bloated and most of them really should turn into novels. I just haven't had the endurance yet to take a short story to the length of a novel. I've gotten a few upto about 20,000 words. I think I really need to double or triple that before I could do anything with it. So anyhow, that's where I'm at right now.

I'm looking forward to making some new associations, and gaining a new depth to my passion. Thanks for listening.

-Jenny

Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to have you.

I am a father of three. I recomend reading and listening (Escapepod, Psuedopod, etc...)to alot of short stories. It will help you get a feel for writing short fiction. Although I read/listened to over three hundred last year and I am still no good

Keep it up.

Posts: 1860 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
melme54
Member # 8482

- posted      Profile for melme54   Email melme54         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack.
I'm new here myself but I'm finding it very helpful. Hope you do too!

Posts: 56 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome and aloha from Hawaii!!

Posts: 686 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnMac
Member # 8472

- posted      Profile for JohnMac   Email JohnMac         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome aboard!

Don't worry about rambling around here - I think we all love to hear (or see) ourselves talk (or type). After all, writers use a LOT of words. It's a condition we don't want to cure, and this is the support group.

-John

Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TLBailey
Member # 8499

- posted      Profile for TLBailey   Email TLBailey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome aboard Jennywinnie, all the aliens hiding here in New Mexico send there love .
Posts: 72 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings! Have some carrot cake!
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can smell carrot cake drifting down from the treehouse's kitchen, and is that a whiff of chocolate fudge brownies? Merlion must be at it, again. I stare at the stable across the way and hope that someone has taken care of my Foundation Appaloosa mare while I've been slaving away in the real world. OH NO! What's that in the distance! It's my boss! I can't believe he's followed me here. Maybe I'm halucinating?

Hey! You guys up in the treehouse! I'm in desperate need of some help down here at the base of the tree! HEELLPP!!!!

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denem
Member # 8434

- posted      Profile for Denem   Email Denem         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Crystal,
I'm throwing down the magic rope ladder. Don't worry about your boss, as soon as you're in we'll activate the cloaking device.
Oh, and we've saved you a piece of carrot cake.

Welcome to Hatrack, Jennie.
Buckle up, things can get real interesting around here.

Posts: 128 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Praised be I've been saved! It's so nice to be home once again. Oh, and who's this? A new member. I'm so sorry that you've caught me at such an inopportune time. It's all those long hours I've been working as a production worker and all the problems at my real home in the real world. I was so desperate to get somewhere where I can get away from everything for awhile and leave everything else behind.

Thank you for the carrot cake, Denem. You are such a dear.

Welcome to Hatrack .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jennywinnie
Member # 8510

- posted      Profile for Jennywinnie   Email Jennywinnie         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yummy, I love carrot cake!

An afternoon in a tree house doesn't sound so bad either, so long as there's somewhere soft to sit, and not too many mosquitos.

Thanks for such a warm welcome, you guys sound really fun!

Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mosquitoes are absolutely NOT allowed anywhere near my virtual treehouse.

So you can relax, Jennywinnie, about that, at least.

Posts: 8280 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.