Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello from TX

Author Topic: Hello from TX
Jeff Baerveldt
Member # 8531

- posted      Profile for Jeff Baerveldt   Email Jeff Baerveldt         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My name's Jeff, and I've wanted to be a writer since I was 11.

I wrote on and off though junior high and high school (mostly off), not much in college, and then started back up again when I became an at-home dad. I was 29 years old.

For the next five years, I struggled with writing, and finally quit last April (2008). But the bug bit me again in December, and after giving it some serious thought, I decided to make 2009 the Year I Got Serious About Writing.

I set an outrageous writing goal -- namely, to write three practice novels. I finished the first one, a crime novel, on March 12; it was 309 pages, about 77,000 words. The next day I started working on my second novel -- a D&D-style fantasy adventure.

Decided to join Hatrack because, as you know, writing can be a bit lonely.

Glad to be here!

[This message has been edited by Jeff Baerveldt (edited March 20, 2009).]

Posts: 49 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We're glad to have you. Come on in.
Posts: 962 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TLBailey
Member # 8499

- posted      Profile for TLBailey   Email TLBailey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the tree house Jeff, I live right next door. I'm sure Crystal will show you around soon, in the mean time have a brownie. There seems to be an endless supply in the magic fridge. Uh oh, Gotta go, the trebles have found me.

TL

Posts: 72 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you mean tribbles, TL ?

Hello, and please come on in. It's always nice to have new members in the magical treehouse. I was relaxing out on the deck when you arrived. Care for something to eat or drink? The deck is just right outside from the kitchen. I think you missed the steaks someone was grilling out there, but I'm sure we can find more. The magical fridge can produce anything you like.

Welcome to Hatrack .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denem
Member # 8434

- posted      Profile for Denem   Email Denem         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome aboard.
I've been writing as a hobby for a long time as well and decided to get serious this year. Since I joined Hatrack the advice and the support has been great, so you're in a good spot.

Posts: 128 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toby Western
Member # 7841

- posted      Profile for Toby Western   Email Toby Western         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!

Congratulations on finishing that first novel. Who was it that said that nothing of note was ever achieved by reasonable men?

Anyway, you're in good company.

Oh - and if you visit the treehouse, don't step on the third rung up. Just don't.

Posts: 171 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TLBailey
Member # 8499

- posted      Profile for TLBailey   Email TLBailey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See they've got me so flustered I can't even spell tribbles anymore.
TL

Posts: 72 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.