Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Good Evening From Colorado

Author Topic: Good Evening From Colorado
amigo276
Member # 8560

- posted      Profile for amigo276   Email amigo276         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm Tom and I am working on a disaster thriller novel. I have finished five chapters.

I have read through some of the posts here and I am impressed with the attitude and energy of the participants. I hope to be able to contribute to and find support from the group.

As far as critiquing goes, I am mostly interested in reading crime or thriller novels.

I am going to be out of the country for a month starting Sunday the 12th, so my posting may be a little sparse here at the beginning.

Tom

Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, I hope you find the support you need.
Posts: 962 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse Tom.

Is that disaster post-apocalyptic? My family is really big into speculation on the imminent collapse of social structure, everything from an abrupt and permanent stoppage in the supply of gasoline (disastrous especially for cities), to full-out nuclear war. We've done a lot of theory-crafting and run over several scenarios.

Anyway your story might not have anything to do with that, but if it does I'd be glad to give it a read through and give my two cents.

Nate

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amigo276
Member # 8560

- posted      Profile for amigo276   Email amigo276         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the welcome, Nate.

My novel is about a terrorist induced disaster.

Like your family, I am also interested in the post-apocalypse. I have read Cormac MaCarthy's, "The Road" and James Kunstler's, "A World Made By Hand." Found them both interesting. If you are writing on this area, I would be happy to review it.

Tom

Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack, amigo! I love THE ROAD. Sucks you right in. I'm a post-apocalyptic fan myself. I focus on the fantasy elemet of it, though. The ms I'm working on now is about faeries and humans on Long Island 200 years after the death of earth. There's zombies and vampires, too. It's just a death fest...lol

Good luck with your writing. Most people around here write spec fic, but you may find another realist around here somewhere.

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings, have some pre-apocalyptic pumpkin pie!

And yeah your going to be pretty hard pressed to find mainstream crime stories or the like here. In a year I've seen maybe 4 or 5 non-speculative pieces go by. Hopefully you'll pick up the taste, what with speculative being better and all :-)

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you believe in magic? No, this isn't Xanadu, but the next best thing (I'd like to see that movie sometime ). Come on into the magical treehouse, home to all of us Hatrackers. I just came back from a lovely ride through the woods on my Foundation Appaloosa mare. That's the stables down below next to the koi lake. I hope you'll like it here.

Welcome to Hatrack .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.