Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Self, meet the writers.

Author Topic: Self, meet the writers.
Doug Bradshaw
Member # 8559

- posted      Profile for Doug Bradshaw   Email Doug Bradshaw         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My name is Doug Bradshaw. I'm 32 and have 5 children. I work at Los Alamos National Laboratory exploring the interaction between laser light, the quantum vacuum, and atoms.

At home when I'm not coaching soccer or teaching piano lessons I'm doing dishes, changing diapers, playing ping pong with the kids, learning how to web program, and reading and writing.

I also take a bit of time to study Arabic each day and hope to grow fluent over time.

I write 300 words per day 6 days per week and hope to have a draft of my first novel completed later this year. To help me with this goal I took Pyroom (a version of Writeroom and Darkroom that works on Linux as well as Mac and Windows--all are programs designed to eliminate every distraction while you write) and rewrote a bit of the code so that it would continuously update the word count as I write. I completed chapter 17 Wednesday night. So far I've avoided writer's block (by making my standards really low!).

I've read a bunch of posts and I'm excited to join this community.

Doug

Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the gang!
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, Doug. Sounds like you've got a fun and crazy life! I have four kids, so I get the crazy part. The techno babble hurt my head, but the word count thing is a perfect idea. I did 500 for a while and it really helps just to write every day.

Looking forward to seeing you around!

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Doug.

My dad worked on muon-catalyzed fusion in Los Alamos back during the 80s, when fusion was still the solution to all the world's problems. It's good to meet another egghead from the lab . If any of your writing involves your specific field I'd be happy to review it. I might understand it, but if not at least I can proofread ^^.

Nate.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Bradshaw
Member # 8559

- posted      Profile for Doug Bradshaw   Email Doug Bradshaw         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Kitti.

pixiedust, I just noticed that Wordpress has a poor-man's version of the word count feature: it updates the word number visibly as you type. I wonder how many different places that feature shows up.

Nate, we love Los Alamos. It's beautiful here (although there was a surprise blizzard storm today leaving 3-4 inches of snow) and the people have been great. I still think fusion could solve a lot of problems . . . I can't imagine a better fuel for space exploration.

Posts: 32 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TLBailey
Member # 8499

- posted      Profile for TLBailey   Email TLBailey         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Doug, so what do you do in your spare time?

I live a bit south of you near Abq.

Welcome to the treehouse!

TL

Posts: 72 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Bradshaw
Member # 8559

TL, we moved up from ABQ two years ago. Where are you at?
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings, have some fusion-infused pudding!
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello there, and sorry I'm late. I've been having 'puter problems the last few days, and my 'puter's been in the shop. Maybe you could help me out with that? Sheesh, what a thing to say to a new member when I should be showing you around the magical treehouse... or do you have the time? My goodness, but you have a full schedule!

I'll tell you what? Why don't you just leave all that behind, come out on the deck just outside the kitchen, and make yourself at home in the hot tub. See? Toldja. Feels good, doesn't it. Care to have something to drink while you soak away all your cares and worries? Great view, too, and the air is so fresh and clean since the rainstorm passed through.

Welcome to Hatrack .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doug Bradshaw
Member # 8559

Crystal, thanks for the welcome. Have you gotten the computer problems fixed? I might not be the one to help, but if not I bet someone here could.
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's very kind of you, but I've found a really good computer shop right here in town. Everything's fine, now. Thanks for your concern and hope you're enjoying the magical treehouse along with the forums .
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Deborah
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Deborah   Email Deborah         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Doug, from a fellow newbie. Do you know my friend Warren Towell? He sometimes works/has worked at Los Alamos.

I briefly taught at a school whose gym was an old hanger from Manhattan Project days. I wouldn't go in the building and blamed it for the high rate of cancer among the faculty. Most people called me paranoid. My husband says (quoting we can't remember who) that just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Do you think maybe I've stayed up a bit past my bedtime tonight?

Posts: 11 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brockbooher
Member # 8570

- posted      Profile for brockbooher   Email brockbooher         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Doug,

I am also new, a father of six, and enjoy studying foreign languages. I started studying Arabic a few months ago, but got sidetracked with trying to write some of the stories bouncing around in my head. I look forward to our interaction.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.