Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » How cool is this?

Author Topic: How cool is this?
eslteacher
Member # 8640

- posted      Profile for eslteacher   Email eslteacher         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess the best way to do this is to jump in with both feet - hi! I'm Donna, from Virginia and I am a writer. I'm excited to be here, to learn and absorb ideas to improve my writing and then maybe someday consider submitting something for publication.

I've read a lot of posts already and I am encouraged by what I have read. I do have to overcome a certain amount of intimidation but if the posts I have read so far are any indication, I feel I have found a place where I can explore, share and learn in a respectful, helpful environment. I feel fortunate to have found this forum!

Posts: 27 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This forum is populated primarily by adults who are interested in writing and learning to become a better writer.

You just have to watch out for a few special cases--like me.

Cheers! I hope you enjoy it here.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslteacher
Member # 8640

- posted      Profile for eslteacher   Email eslteacher         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks PatrickJames for the welcome. I like what you said about becoming a better writer. For me, writing is something I do, like any life-sustaining process.... It is a vital part of who I am. I want to improve my writing because I know I can do better and that would bring me a sense of accomplishment. So here I am, watching and learning.

Thanks again for the welcome, see you around the boards!

Posts: 27 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello there and come on into the magical treehouse. Yep, we're all a pretty good group and enjoy each others company. There's plenty to do and see around here along with tons of inspiration and support.

A thunder storm just came through a couple of hours ago, and it looks like it might rain off and on all day. Would you care to go to the space station through that door over there? The view of the stars unobstructed by atmosphere is simply incredible. I was just on my way to the observatory when I found you on the front stoop.

Welcome to Hatrack .

Posts: 1299 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings!

Have some lovely pancakes!

Posts: 2561 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslteacher
Member # 8640

Thank you both for welcoming me in! The pancakes are delicious and much better eaten inside rather than outside on the stoop. The treehouse is deceiving, looking so small and normal on the outside but once you're inside, oh my!

I think I'm going to like it here.

satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome! I take it you teach ESL? I am a teacher also, I taught general music, though now I just teach piano privately. Glad to have you and I see you've already made yourself at home.
Posts: 962 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslteacher
Member # 8640

Hi satate, yes, I teach elementary ESL, love it, love it and have been gratified at the welcomes I have received. Hope I'm not annoying Emily with all the questions, she's a very interesting character. I'm reading about characters in OSC's book on characters and viewpoints... really enlightening and helpful.

Thanks for the welcome, I am learning a lot and feeling encouraged!

[This message has been edited by eslteacher (edited June 03, 2009).]

satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No worries, Emily is not easily annoyed and she enjoys the questions. I loved OSC's book Characters and Viewpoints too. I read it first from a copy in the library and liked it so much I had to go and buy it so I could read it whenever I wanted.

[This message has been edited by satate (edited June 04, 2009).]

Posts: 962 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eslteacher
Member # 8640

Me too! I've ordered it because I can't write in the library's copy. They frown on that, you know. So now I'll be able to read it whenever the mood hits (which is usually after the library has closed.)

Tell Emily thanks, I think she's an interesting character and I hope to read her story one day!

MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You were so nice to welcome me, I thought I would do the same on yours. Welcome, I look forward to reading some of your writing.
Posts: 1018 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.