Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello

Author Topic: Hello
debraj
Member # 8791

- posted      Profile for debraj   Email debraj         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm Debra. I am also new to the group. I have written several screen plays in the past and one even made the semi-finals at the Austin Heart of Film Fest. But that was a while ago and I haven't written very much in the last few years. But I'm back to writing now and hoping to write my first novel. Fantasy and horror are my favorite genres, but I read sci-fi, mystery, and an occasional romance. I recently read the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind and loved it. Also loved Stephanie Meyers' The Host. Otherwise Stephen King and Dean Koontz are my staples.
I hope to learn a lot here and to offer whatever I can to others. I hail from Austin Texas, have also lived in both Germany and Italy, but don't speak either language. Hi to all.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello there and come on inside the treehouse.

I can see you and I already have a few things in common. I've read WIZARD'S FIRST RULE and thought about half the book wasn't even necessary to get the story across. Way too long for my tastes, and several side stories that didn't seem to add anything to the main plot. I've been looking for the next book in the series at my favorite used book store, but without success. I figured I'd give the series one last chance before deciding whether to quit reading it.

I've been reading the ODD THOMAS books by Koontz. I loved the first one but thought the second, FOREVER ODD, was way too predictable. In many ways it didn't deliver that added punch the first one exhibited. Again, I'll read the next one, which I have, before deciding whether to continue the series or not. My problem with ODD THOMAS is I like the MC and how he associates with the dead. I'm just hoping the third installment brings back to oomph absent from the second one.

Do step inside, and I'll show you around. Did you find your suite upstairs okay? We have a special spell for that. You enter the suite and the whole place conforms to your particular tastes and lifestyle. Don'tcha just luv it?

Welcome to Hatrack .

Posts: 1299 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debraj
Member # 8791

- posted      Profile for debraj   Email debraj         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love long books. Odd Thomas doesn't go back to the original story line, so you will probably be disappointed in the later books. Thanks for the welcome. I'm looking forward to working with the group.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Debra!
Posts: 1130 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.