Hatrack River
Home | About Orson Scott Card | News & Reviews | OSC Library | Forums | Contact | Links
Research Area | Writing Lessons | Writers Workshops | OSC at SVU | Calendar | Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello everyone

Author Topic: Hello everyone
Lou
Member # 8795

- posted      Profile for Lou   Email Lou         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,
My name is Lou.
I looked at several recent introductions and responses and it looks like some very nice and talented people gather here. If you guys don't mind, I'd like to pull up a chair from time to time.
As a way of getting to know everyone, I'll share a bit of my story. I was born in the mid '50s in north east Texas. We traveled the country with my father who followed the big construction jobs and I eventually followed his footsteps and became a third generation electrician. It fed the family but not the soul.
I have loved fiction since I read my first book, The Hobbit by Tolkien. I was a devoted fan of Heinlein and I have read a wide variety of sci-fi and fantasy authors. In the late '70s I found a marvelous outlet for my hyper-active imagination - Fantasy Role Playing. In the intervening thirty years I have poured many hours of work and imagination into my fantasy settings.
I like to write. I prefer Sword and Sorcery fiction with occasional apocolyptic overtones. I have never had any training in writing but I see numerous resources and tutorials that I look forward to studying. This site seems to have so much to offer. I look forward to meeting you all. and I am anxious to get busy.
Lou.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jezzahardin
Member # 8782

- posted      Profile for jezzahardin   Email jezzahardin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Lou. Glad to have you here.

I, too, love apocalyptic overtones in fiction, or for me, post-apocalyptic. Have you ever read I Am Legend? Really great, dark fantasy/scifi story.

Posts: 39 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lou
Member # 8795

- posted      Profile for Lou   Email Lou         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jezz,
Thank you for the welcome. To answer your question about I Am Legend, not specifically. However,the second book I ever read was The Omega Man, which (I believe) was adapted for or from the screenplay that was used for the 1970's version of that earlier clasic. That movie and pulp spin-off were definitely rated B. Not much later I read Farnam's Freehold. Post-apocolyptic themes have always been a favorite of mine.

Posts: 21 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Lou! In your studies, don't overlook the Search function on this site. It's helped answer many of my questions. See you around!
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lbdavid98
Member # 8789

- posted      Profile for lbdavid98   Email lbdavid98         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the tip on the search function First I've heard it mentioned and it has lead to all kinds of interesting reading
Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be darned. You're the first to find the treehouse armory. You can find all kind of charmed weapons and talismans in here. I see you've found the magic sword collection. Just be careful how you use anything in here until you read the how-to instructions. One Hatracker picked up that amulet over there and disappeared for a few weeks into another dimension. Praised be he found his way back all in one piece. Just let me know if I can help you with anything. If handled properly, most of these items can prove useful.

Welcome to Hatrack .

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.