Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Another new comer

Author Topic: Another new comer
Raider
Member # 8871

- posted      Profile for Raider   Email Raider         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all,

I'm new to this place so I figured I'd give you all a quick intro. My name is Dave and I'm an aspiring sci-fi writer. When I was in grade school, I used to write short stories and I feel that now I should try to get back in touch with my creativity. I currently work in automotive and I haven't done anything artistic in a while. Lately, I've had some concept ideas, floating through my head, which I hope to refine and evolve into potential novels.

I grew up watching Indiana Jones and playing the Tomb Raider games, which gave me inspiration for a couple of my ideas. But the biggest source of inspiration, for me, are conspiracy theories. I'm a big fan of stuff like that. Whether or not you choose to believe any of them, you got to admit they do make for great novel writing material because they can range from being believable to just plain crazy.

I'm here to share my ideas so I can get some constructive criticism and also to see what others are writing, so I can contribute my own input. I haven't had too much writing experience, so please don't be too critical, but I'm always open to helpful suggestions. Right now, I'm reading Orson's book "How to Write Science Fiction" as a starting point but I do plan to attend a writers workshop class, at a community college, in the spring.

I'll post the concepts for some of my ideas shortly.

Looking forward to interacting with you all.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Dave,

Its always get to get fresh ideas into the fray. Jump in and take a good look around.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard about government guys pretending to be writers--trying to trick them innocent scribes into writing about conspiracy theories--turn fact into fiction for the masses, so to speak.

-cocks shotgun--

Is that what you are, fella--one of them government agents?

Posts: 2987 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raider
Member # 8871

- posted      Profile for Raider   Email Raider         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me a government agent? If anything, those agents are probably watching me right now. So no, I'm not one of them. But interesting point of view though.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

- posted      Profile for Andrew_McGown   Email Andrew_McGown         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are watching you.
All of you.

Posts: 185 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.