Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Greetings

Author Topic: Greetings
pidream
Member # 9544

- posted      Profile for pidream   Email pidream         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My name is Stephen and I have been wrting for years but have never really had anything published but hope to one day make that dream come true. Knowing you will fail before you succeed has always been my greastest fear. . .so why try.

That having been said, I want to embrace the now and get some support. If nothing else I can at least get some sense of whether I have the skills from the feedback I hope to glean here.

Regards

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yo, greetings my man. What's happening?

The fear of failure keeps a lot of people from going forward. But you do because that is how you learn. Like any other skill, you have to practice. Some of us have to practice more than others. But with writing and music, you do it because it's inside you. I've said that if need be I would go back to clay tablets and those sticks whose name I just spent over seven minutes on google trying to find but no results.

Here though there are friendly, knowledgeable people who can advise you and which is why you;re here.

But however as you meditate on the why of-s on writing do watch out as you make the rounds of the treehouse. If you run into a unicorn be careful she can be mean.

A PS Finally found it... stylus. I tried to put an i in it. And I had it mixed up evidently, I thought they were used with clay tablets but they were used with wax tablets. They used the pre-stylus with clay. Sounds pretty much like the same instrument but the shape of the "point" was a bit different.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited June 18, 2011).]

Posts: 5098 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 4218 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KathiS
Member # 9542

- posted      Profile for KathiS   Email KathiS         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Stephen.

There's a great quote about how many times famous people tried and failed before they made good. I can't put my fingers on it at the moment. If you don't try and don't fail you can't learn.

kls

Posts: 65 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, and welcome to the Hatrack Treehouse!

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. --Thomas Edison

Posts: 447 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDBHarlan
Member # 9557

- posted      Profile for MDBHarlan   Email MDBHarlan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know it is scary. I wallow some days wondering why I chose something so hard. Just keep at it. Write things you like to read and chances are others will want to read it too.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually any skill is hard to learn. Writing isn't any more than usual but it's exciting and fun and interesting. Frustrating as you know what at times too but so is everything else you may want to learn to do. You can learn new things all the time and talk to people who are where you are or close enough.
Posts: 5098 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

- posted      Profile for A Yeatts   Email A Yeatts         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a bit slow but welcome!
Posts: 207 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry about having the skills. Write. Submit. Now. Shoo.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.