Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello

Author Topic: Hello
CGreen
Member # 9718

- posted      Profile for CGreen   Email CGreen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

It seems I'm entering the new year with a single critique partner, so I decided to see if I could find a nice quiet hangout for the year. This looks like a good place to begin the new year.

I'm newly published, so still consider myself in the beginning ranks, testing the waters. I have four short stories and two novellas out there. I have a few short stories sitting on my desk. They failed to find homes in 2011 so will probably do quick revisions and get sent out.

I'm attempting a new novel for the year. (Any suggestions on writing full length novels feel free to share them. [Smile] )

I look forward to getting to know everyone and sharing information.

Cher Green

Posts: 34 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello!

Please take a squat by the firepit and enjoy the roasting heat.

Suggestions on writing full novels: it's a persistence run, not a 100-meter dash. Plan accordingly. And most importantly: don't give up. That novel won't write itself. [Wink]

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lloyd Tackitt
Member # 9714

- posted      Profile for Lloyd Tackitt   Email Lloyd Tackitt         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am well on the second draft of a novel that I wrote this year. I wrote the first draft just about as fast as I could, just getting words on paper. It took me 32 days to write 32 chapters that way, each chapter about 2,000 words. It went amazingly well and came out better than I had hoped for. Still, a lot of rewriting to do. So, for now that would be my advice. Just write like crazy and get it on paper, then fix it.
Posts: 64 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy there and be welcomed.

We a nice friendly place even though I'm sure about the quiet part. Depends on what everyone is doing... sometimes it is sometimes it isn't.

You say you have stories and novellas out there, May I ask where?

As to increasing the length of your novels. There are discussions on that here abouts but you would probably would have to do some digging to find them. Maybe someone who remembers where they are can share a link with you.

But you may have to do a outline, if you don't already to help with that. Or think up a couple of more what I call danger scenes for your MC. Readers these days are suppose to like a lot of situations where the MC's life is in danger... emotionally and physically and sometimes spiritually. There is talk of torturing your MC. Maybe if he-she-it is looking for something try to put another obstacle or two in their way, try some romance or your MC could get sidetracked with another problem for a short bit of time. One novel I'm reading now has the MC is not only trying to save some captive women from being killed by the main bad guy while at the same time bad guy is trying to kill her. Plus she is learning that a certain magic guy she has been using isn't so bad after all.

Oh yes as you explore the Treehouse do be careful especially if you see a unicorn. She can be mean.

Posts: 4847 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.

Try the Novel Support Group (NSG) in Hatrack Groups for goal-setting and occasionally for finding a critique partner.

Posts: 3899 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CGreen
Member # 9718

- posted      Profile for CGreen   Email CGreen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

LDWriter2 - a list of my published work is on my website. Here's a direct link to the library page: http://www.chergreen.com/the-library.html

Lloyd, That's the plan - get the first draft down and get ready for the work.

Unfortunately, I haven't mastered plotting. When I try, the story seems not right and can't figure out scenes to add and such. So far in my writing I write it and the plot appears as I go. I usually know the start, the climax, and the ending before I start, so I guess that's my outline.

I'll get something up in the 13 line section soon. I need to pick which short story I'm going to look over first this year to get it back out on the market.

Best wishes,
Cher

Posts: 34 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeetahWest
Member # 9402

- posted      Profile for LeetahWest   Email LeetahWest         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome CGreen! Insanity awaits, and hopefully lots of inspiration therein.
Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CGreen
Member # 9718

Thank you. Everything's more exciting with insanity. [Smile]
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, seen "Untied Shoelaces of the Mind" and" Spinetinglers" and I think"Long Short story" somewhere. Probably mentioned on ralan.com

Kinda like the name Untied Shoelaces of the Mind

Posts: 4847 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.