Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Climbing into the treehouse

Author Topic: Climbing into the treehouse
SuziQ
Member # 9730

- posted      Profile for SuziQ   Email SuziQ         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone! I love the idea of a treehouse...we're actually planning to build one in our forest garden to house our water collection tank - though it'll also include some fun lounging areas. Nothing like this tree house, I'm sure, but still whimsical and fun.

I've been contemplating for years taking my interest in fantasy writing forward into trying to write for something more commercial than online rpgs. This year I decided there is no time like the present, so here I am. My name is Susan but I also answer to Suz, Sue, Suzi and SuziQ (and occasionally "hey you" if I recognize the voice). I started reading at age 3 and writing at age 6 but a college creative writing teacher informed me in a very loud voice in front of the class that I couldn't write my way out of a paper bag, especially characters and dialogue. I was paralyzed for over 10 years from that experience. Only now, as I have reached the age where I wear a lot of purple and care less what people think of me do I find myself willing to push back against that kind of damage and put pen to paper in a serious way. I am here to learn, so please critique away - I appreciate honesty and kindness and will try and return the same.

Blessings!

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3899 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
me in a very loud voice in front of the class that I couldn't write my way out of a paper bag, especially characters and dialogue. I was paralyzed for over 10 years from that experience.
This is why I say a lot of the things I say and do a lot of the things I do.

Great admiration to you for getting past that sort of nonsense. I make it a point to specialize in building people up, rather than tearing them down, through criticism and commentary.

Good to have you. Have a lovely waffle.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You be welcome here SuziQ, Susan, Sue, even "Hey You" and all the rest of you. We won't say in any volume that you can't write. That doesn't mean that we won't show you where you can improve (Double negative kept on purpose). But we are a friendly group and some of us are knowledgeable about certain areas of the craft of writing.

Oh, you might read that some of us discuss what Dean Wesley Smith says. A long time pro writer who doesn't mind sharing his wisdom on writing. But He also was told at one point that he could not write, by more than one person. But he wanted to so he got down and learned everything he could. He is very close to his 100th novels published. He has been paid ten of thousands of dollars at times. And he has sold thousands of stories. He believes the skill of writing can be taught and caught. Even though it may take some longer than others.

So Write! Pay attention and keep on learning.

However as you do explore the treehouse watch out for that unicorn she can be a mean at times.

Posts: 4847 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LeetahWest
Member # 9402

- posted      Profile for LeetahWest   Email LeetahWest         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome! Please come in and enjoy the insanity that percolates in minds and writings of all the members here.
Posts: 108 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treamayne
Member # 9700

- posted      Profile for Treamayne           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the Treehouse. You've joined a great community with alot of knowledge and laughter to share. Good on you for getting past the nay-sayers and following your heart. You mentioned you wrote for some online RPGs? May I ask which ones? Did you write for the source books, or write settings and plots for games to use? My early stories were mostly fan fiction based in games I played back in the 80s and 90s.

Welcome and enjoy...

Posts: 61 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome SuziQ and let that so-called teacher burn in everlasting infamy.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SuziQ
Member # 9730

- posted      Profile for SuziQ   Email SuziQ         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone and thanks for the welcomes. It's lovely to find such a welcoming group of people and I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you.

LD, I will check him out - and it's good to hear that others have had the same criticism and managed to eek out a meager existence despite it (vbg)

Treamayne, my early stuff was also fan fiction based on either LOTR, Star Trek or The Sentinel and the games were all LOTR. They were all simply fan type rpgs though, including a few that I created. I was at LOTR plaza for a while and also on LJ for a bit. I did a little D&D but was never as good at tabletop as I was at writing. My specialty is elves and I'd adore being able to write LOTR as a career but alas, that does not belong to me, so I'm exploring my own ideas now. I'm hoping to blend my love of fantasy with my passion for genealogy. We'll see how well that goes.

Martin - I totally agree.

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CGreen
Member # 9718

- posted      Profile for CGreen   Email CGreen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Suzi.

quote:
creative writing teacher informed me in a very loud voice in front of the class that I couldn't write my way out of a paper bag, especially characters and dialogue.
Guess this he/she wasn't much of a teacher. For one, such a statement should never have been addressed at all much less in this manner. Also, teaching you these techniques would, I think, have been the reason for taking the class and therefore his job to teach it to you. I don't believe creativity is something that can be taught, but it can be explored in each individual to draw it out. But, I strongly believe that each technique can be taught.

Look forward to seeing your work blossom.

Cher Green

Posts: 34 | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.