Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hi to all

Author Topic: Hi to all
AbbyG
Member # 9737

- posted      Profile for AbbyG   Email AbbyG         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm Abby, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all.

I started writing fiction back in about 2000 after working as a freelance business journalist. Sold my first book nearly 6 years later after many, many rejections. I write contemporary romantic comedy and historical inspirational (Christian) romance, but would like to branch out. To that end, I'm currently working on a Young Adult mystery. None of my writing has any kind of SF or paranormal element and I don't generally read in those genres (though with three teenage kids I've read a fair amount of dystopian fiction recently!). But I was blown away by Ender's Game when I bought it for my son a few years ago (he's been totally hooked on OSC ever since), and I have OSC's book on characters and viewpoint, which has been really helpful. I've heard great things about the Bootcamp and would love to attend that one day (does that still happen? where do we find about that?)

In my experience, writing doesn't get easier the more you do it. You just get more aware of your shortcomings. A process that "worked" last time won't necessarily work again. But it's still way better than any other job. I mostly write novels, but I've written a couple of novellas and really enjoyed them. However, I find short stories very difficult to write, and would like to improve my skills in that area.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3674 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treamayne
Member # 9700

- posted      Profile for Treamayne           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse. We have a great group of people here with varied backgrounds, ideas and interests. Lots to learn, share and grow.

Hope you enjoy yourself here and we look forward to getting to know you better too. Congrats on publishing after all that hard work - and much more success in the future.

Posts: 61 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.
Posts: 1130 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A bit late with my welcome but be welcome. 'tis a cool place to hang out.

You aren't the only parent-writer here but I think most of the others have smaller kids.

As to your writing, first of all can we ask what the title of the first book is? Second, you can combine romance and SF or romance and Fantasy. We don't mind fusions here.

I think there is a Bootcamp thread somewhere on hatrack and I believe it will happen this year but am not sure.

Some writers do find writing short stories harder than novels but remember 10,000 words is still considered short even though not every market likes them that long.

And while you wonder around the treehouse remember to be careful. You never know about that unicorn she can be mean.

Posts: 4641 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AbbyG
Member # 9737

- posted      Profile for AbbyG   Email AbbyG         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the welcomes!

LdWriter, yes, there are a lot of authors who combine romance with SF or Fantasy. I haven't tried it myself yet [Smile] . There are also fantasy authors who have quite separate careers as romance authors, like Laura Resnick. My first book was called Whose Lie Is It Anyway? But I'm now up to book 19, so there's been lots of toner under the bridge (pardon the twisted metaphor) since then...

I could probably manage a 10K word short story. It's the 1-3K length that I find really hard.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Abby, I didn't know that about Laura, that might explain her Urban Fantasy series though. It definitely has romanic overtones. Kinda fun the way she does it though even though I hope that in book ten the MC isn't still trying to get together with the love of her life. Some readers might like that type of thing but I get frustrated and bored.

It is okay if you can't do 1,000 to 3,000 word stories. A lot the short stories around are in the five to eight thousand word range and some have been known to go over 10,000. I seem to be able to do all types; from 50 words to 320,000 words. But that seems to be rare. Of course they all are on the same level mediocre. Can't seem to break into that next level.

But sounds like your stories will be fine with your background.

Posts: 4641 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings. Have a lovely cookie-crumb-crusted key lime pie slice.

You may shoot me for saying this, but depending on the Christian elements of your stories they could very well, in a broad sense, from my perspective, be considered "paranormal" elements. To me, magic is magic and supernatural beings are supernatural beings, whatever tradition they come from.

I write primarily short stories, but the majority of them are over 3k but under 10k words. My average is probably right around 10k. While there is a bit of a vogue for "flash" fiction and stuff at or under 3k I think a good heft portion of short fiction falls into the 4-8k range.

Posts: 2587 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AbbyG
Member # 9737

LDWriter2 - 320000 words!! That's epic...literally...

Merlion-Emrys - Christian publishers tend to avoid the "miraculous" in contemporary Christian fiction, as far as I can tell...though there is also a Christian fantasy genre...

Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Merlion-Emrys - Christian publishers tend to avoid the "miraculous" in contemporary Christian fiction
Even so, Christianity involves belief in spiritual/mystical/supernatural things/beings/occurrences. Therefore, to me, even if it doesn't specifically contain such elements, a story from the perspective of Christianity being reality is thereby set in a reality where such things exist.

Splitting hairs maybe...but it's probably just me. The seperation that people make between "religion" or faith and mysticism or the supernatural is a subject of...interest to me shall we say (for the record, I think of myself as a mystic and see the encroachment of materialism as a major problem in particularly Western culture.)

Interesting to note also that along with the "Christian fantasy" you mention, a huge percentage of horror fiction relies very, very heavily on Judeo-Christian beliefs and/or folklore often mixed with Hermetic or Goetic occultic stuff.

Posts: 2587 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.