Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » An Introduction

Author Topic: An Introduction
Matthew Jonathan Wilcken
Member # 9744

- posted      Profile for Matthew Jonathan Wilcken   Email Matthew Jonathan Wilcken         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for providing this forum for prospective authors. It's great to have a venue where we can discuss, in a serious way, the tenets of writing and receive critical feedback on our works.

I am 29 years old and live in the south Seattle area. I have been writing for upwards of 4 years. I currently have one completed book and another unrelated book which is shelved at this time.

When asked, I'd hope people would describe me as being highly intellectual. Yet I try to tone down the smart facade and just be an all around great guy. I enjoy exercise. I've found that when my body is happy, the writing flows.

I will try to post the first 13 lines of my book as soon as possible. Thank you.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.

You might want to check out the Novel Support Group (NSG) in Hatrack Groups. [Smile]

Posts: 3900 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew Jonathan Wilcken
Member # 9744

- posted      Profile for Matthew Jonathan Wilcken   Email Matthew Jonathan Wilcken         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meredith:
Welcome to the treehouse.

You might want to check out the Novel Support Group (NSG) in Hatrack Groups. [Smile]

Where does one go to find the Novel Support Group?
Posts: 10 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Past the three-headed griffin, left at the Shoggoth statue then through my Yellow magic interdimensional portal.

But it might be safer to just let Meredith show you the way.

Pay no attention to the tentacles wrapped around my head. That's perfectly normal.

Have some cheesecake.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be welcome Matthew Jonathan Wilcken You've come to a fine place to learn the tricky craft of writing fiction... or in other words "telling lies for a living".

As to Merlion and his yellow inter-dimensional portal. Now you know why they were yellow bricks in that road. But in whispers- we think he has taken one too many trips down that road.

But back to the treehouse, we have some friendly people here who know a thing or three about writing and who do not mind sharing it. However as you do explore the treehouse do be careful not only are there yellow inter-dimensional portals but some rooms lead elsewhere but if you find one that does just make sure you write down what you see so you can publish it.

Meredith hasn't responded yet so:
And there's a Novel Support Group or NSG in the Hatrack Groups section. Just go to the list of forums and head down. Each week we report on what work we have done in out novels. If you would like someone to read what you have written try the Fragments and Feedback for Novels section. Post your first 13 lines- there's a reason it's only the first 13 and Kathleen our smart, good looking, fair Administrator is strict about being 13 lines--and ask for a reader or three.

And Do Be careful if you see a unicorn wondering around, she can be mean.

Posts: 4847 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
As to Merlion and his yellow inter-dimensional portal. Now you know why they were yellow bricks in that road.
This could give me all sorts of story ideas, but I mustn't let it as I'm supposed to be working on my novel.

But, there are a few general similarities between my Yellow Road and Dorothy's yellow brick road...

And for the record, LD, I'm actually on the Blue one.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew Jonathan Wilcken
Member # 9744

Well my first book is truly complete. Naturally, I could continue editing it, but I want someone else to take a look at it in its entirety. I've already gotten some feedback on the first thirteen lines. The changes have been made.

Having a second opinion on the entire draft would be a Godsend at this point. I feel that one or two pass throughs and this sucker's ready for the press.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.