Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hi there

Author Topic: Hi there
mobewan
Member # 9749

- posted      Profile for mobewan   Email mobewan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there, I'm Col. And I want to write. And from a quick look round, you all seem a friendly, dedicated bunch who might just be willing to put up with me.

I'm a rambler. I'm easily distracted. I have stuff inside me I want to get out. I want to see if it's any good. If (when) it's not. I want to see how I deal with it.

But here's the rub - I don't write.

I want to. I have an itch I can't shake at the moment. And it's an itch I've not experienced before (i.e. this one hasn't disappeared after a few weeks). But apart from the last few weeks where I've started to write (thoughts, ideas, anything really), I've only ever written when I've had to. And never for fun.

I read a lot. Shed loads actually, and maybe that's where the itch comes from. To contribute to that elite group who entertain, inform and stretch me. But at the moment, every where I look for inspiration, I'm faced with people who write every day; people who have written since they could hold a crayon. People for whom writing, is as natural as breathing.

I want to breath with you. I just need to figure out how.

I think this will be a great place for some breathing lessons, and I'll take any help that is offered, but if I'm allowed to personalise the hello slightly it will be as a plea for help from those like me who may actually need a ventillator for the first few forays into the big bright world of writing.

I'll also need help on my metaphors.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, it's official. You are suffering from the rare but not so rare affliction. It's called desiretowritus. *insert thunder sound effect*

Sad to say, there is no cure for it. All you can do is alleviate the symptoms. Here's how:

First, make sure you are in a comfortable position, the kind you could insist in for at least an hour without standing up.

Second, take a piece of paper, preferably the kind that grows on trees. The kind that stares at you from a computer screen can also work, only the tools are different.

Third, connect a writing tool to your paper. If using the digital kind, that writing tool should be provided by the manufacturer. It should be a series of buttons, each with a tiny letter on it. If there is no such tool provided, contact your manufacturer.

Fourth, wait for the symptoms of your affliction to emerge.

Fifth, forget about the world and do what comes naturally. Don't think about tenses or clauses or spelling. That will come by itself when it's time. For now, go nuts.

Oh, there's stage six: never forget to have fun. If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong.

Welcome, mobewan. May the Schwartz be with you.

[ February 05, 2012, 04:59 AM: Message edited by: MartinV ]

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings. Have a nice muffin.

Good and bad are just points of view. Over time you'll realize it's more about what you want it to be, and learning how to make it do that. This place can help with that, just remember to hang on to your own ideas.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep you have come to the right place so be welcome.

Some people here know a thing or three about writing and how to get you to start and finish something. We know you can do it.

However as you are exploring already do be careful about that unicorn, she can be mean.

Posts: 4891 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could try reading and following the instructions in the three writing assignment topics in the Writing Class area, mobewan. They might help you figure out what you want to write.
Posts: 8027 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mobewan
Member # 9749

- posted      Profile for mobewan   Email mobewan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all. This seems like the right place for some motivation (inspirational and/or blunt talking :-). I'm taking a look at those exercises now...they look like the right kind of pointers I need to just get in the swing of things.

Now, discipline. Anybody know where I can buy the stuff in bulk?

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Discipline.

Start small. Usually discipline is a problem if you're trying to achieve too great a goal too early. By staying modest you have simpler goals that you can actually achieve. Instead of going after a Tolkien-like mammoth, try going for a single page of written word. It doesn't even have to be a story, just something that comes out of your mind.

You have to learn to write down your thoughts. It's not as easy as it sounds so you should start with that. Anything really is better than nothing.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be welcome....

You can buy some discipline around here. Well, actually it's free for the taking here. Just follow the instructions and let us cheer you on.

However as you investigate the treehouse be careful with the unicorn, she can be mean.

Hmm, in my foggy braininess last night-got case of the flu- I seem to have clicked on the wrong thread last night. Or I just didn't recognize this one. Kathleen could you remove this second greeting, please.

[ February 09, 2012, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

Posts: 4891 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.