Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello!

Author Topic: Hello!
Shaygirl
Member # 9761

- posted      Profile for Shaygirl   Email Shaygirl         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Everyone!

I have never ever in my long short-legged life joined a writers group before. So this is kind of new to me. But I've been haunting the forums and have been pretty impressed with what I saw. Fingers crossed!

Here's another college student for you all, though I'm not full time. I'm working on getting my Associates in Arts and have about another year left. I love reading, I even had to be grounded from reading on and off through middle school (and part of high school) since I didn't do much else. Sadly this also meant I didn't do much writing. I probably have started 13+ stories, only finishing two. The first was a blip, I have no idea how that ending happened. The second I wrote for a contest so it had to have an ending. Still a little shocking... [Big Grin]

I love music, jazz and classical piano are my favorite though I won't say no to LOTR soundtrack. I play alto sax for my school's jazz band, and I play flute for the concert band. So basically to sum things up...love writing and reading (mainly fantasy), and I love music. So that's me...in a nutshell (walnut preferably).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to joining this group, and I'm pretty sure that it will help me a lot. If only so I can talk to people who run into the same bumps I do. [Wink]

Shaygirl

Posts: 83 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings. Have a lovely slice of lovely lemon meringue pie.

Grounded...from...reading? Sounds like an abomination to me.

I spent most of my adolescence reading and in many cases not doing much else.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaygirl
Member # 9761

- posted      Profile for Shaygirl   Email Shaygirl         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought so...

Does the pie have lots of powdered sugar on top?

I don't read nearly as much, and still don't really fo anything else...maybe Mom was wrong?

[ February 23, 2012, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Shaygirl ]

Posts: 83 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another college student, eh?

Nice to have you here. Now I am not the only kiddo around. [Smile]

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaygirl
Member # 9761

Kiddos are soooo underated *eye roll*.

Nothing against anyone out there who dates the dinosuars or anything... [Wink]

Do you have a specific major at this point, or are you floating around in the safety of Liberal Arts like me?

Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3940 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be getting my interpretation BA this year. I am also going to pursue an MA in Vienna.

How about you?

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaygirl
Member # 9761

I am getting my Liberal Arts Associates end of this year, my goal is to get my BA in Elnglish/editing. I haven't decided if I'm going to shoot for an MA yet...if I'm not married by the time I finish my BA, then I probably will. Then I'll have to decide which college... [Razz]
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank Astea I don't have to deal with academics...

I've never heard of Lemon Meringue pie with sugar on top. Usually it mostly has meringue on top.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaygirl
Member # 9761

Hmm that must be a reflex of my lemon-bar obssessed mind... [Smile]
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Probably. Similar to my random shoggoths and assorted tentacular monstrosities no doubt.
Shaygirl
Member # 9761

Indubitably!
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, welcome welcome... (walks up to you with hand out)

A bit late here I am but the forum was down for at least one and a half days,.. for two of us anyway.

So as you probably know by now this place has some good people who don't mind sharing what they know about writing and a few other things.

But maybe you could play for us, I like jazz. [Smile]

However as you wonder around by your lonesome do be careful, if you see the unicorn she can be mean.

Oh just thought of something. Speaking of your handle do you read Del Franco's stuff?

Posts: 4896 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaygirl
Member # 9761

You bring the lemon-bars, I'll bring the music.

I know Unicorns seem to be fond of music playing maidens, so maybe I can avoid conflict with a little Cannonball Adderley...

Actually I've never read any of his stuff. Though that makes me think I should have done my name off of something of Sandersons...he's my current fascination.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About time I get back to this.

Del Franco or is it del Franco? Anyway, he has a mini character in one of his series named Shay or something close to that. It's a guy. So that is why I wondered about Shaygirl. Also a bit of hope, I seem to read different books around here. [Smile]

Posts: 4896 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaygirl
Member # 9761

Hmm, provide a list of some of your other favorites and we can compare notes. I'm always looking for more reads, and maybe (even though I think we're different fantasy genres) we can help each other find some new favorites. [Smile]
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

If we are talking just fantasy here, I like most types except for some of the weird ones.

Urban Fantasy by John Levett, Laura Anne Gillman, M. E. Murphy, Seanan McGuire, Lyn Benedict, Laura Resnick, Margaret Ronald, Anton Strout, Jim Butcher, and Mark del Franco. Some of those might be considered paranormal.

More general fantasy by K.E.Mills, Glen Cook, Patricia Briggs, Phillippa Ballantine, Barb and J.C. Hendee, Some older stuff by Simon Green, Robert Asprin and a couple of others I can't remember right now.

More epic Fantasy, Tolken, Terry Brooks, David Eddings and again a couple I can't recall right now.

Some more strange ones, all of Simon Green's currents works. I think they are a form of fantasy anyway

Murphy has out both UF and more normal fantasy but I haven't read her other stuff.

If I recall the names I'm forgetting I will add them.

Shaygirl
Member # 9761

I haven't read any of the first authors...though I will difinitely see if my library has them!

Read some Patricia Briggs (The Dragon's Bones books). Also Tolkien, Terry Brooks and I think some Eddings? I'll have to google his stuff and double check.

I really like Brandon Sanderson, Dianna Wynne Jones, Cinda Williams Chima, Lois McMaster Bujold and Robin Mckinley.

I still am working out the different fantasy labels, but I think these would all be more of your typical fantasy (though Chima does have some Urban).

A lot of these would be considered YA, but I really enjoyed them. Chima and Dianna Wynne Jones would be two that I would tell anyone to read, and I have. Chima's "The Demon King" is a good place to start, and I'd suggest "Fire and Hemlock" for Dianna (she wrote "Howl's Moving Castle" as well).

For Terry Brooks, which (of his multiple series) did you prefer? I liked his Landover series,were he managed to avoid his tendency to be repetitive for most of that series.

[ February 28, 2012, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Shaygirl ]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I read Brigg's Dragon books too, I wish she would do another one.
But I have also read her very first book. Forget the title right now. She revised it recently and they republished it. And I have the sequel she final did. Funny thing is that as much as I like her writing most of her series I haven't read. Her UF isn't quite my tastes.

And Bujold has fantasy? (Unless I'm getting her mixed up with someone else) Mckinley I have read also and I always check out her books.

I read most of Brooks' Landover books except fro what I think is the last one. Unless he's done some since that book. I seemed to have lost track of him.

I think I have seen "Fire And Hemlock" or someone else has talked about that one.

and BTW with Cook I have only read his Garrett books, the Black Company isn't quite for me. Garrett is a PI in a magic kinda medieval world. So he goes about his business much like a hard boiled PI would. Very well done and good stories. Except for the last book where something happened that completely changed things in one area of his life. Disliked that detail.

Same goes for Jim Butcher. I have only read his Dresden books. His epic or hight fantasy is a bit too dark for me.

Oh, David Weber has a fantasy series I keep thinking about. I read a short story written by him that takes place in that world. It made me want to read the series.

Shaygirl
Member # 9761

Bujold has three books that are fantasy, I much prefer them over her scify (though I'm not one for scify anyway). It's a series, though you can read them pretty much independently. My favorite is the first, "The Curse of Challion" which I really liked and have listened to on audio book about 4-5 times. I really wish she'd do more fantasy, she has another series “The Broken Shards” (or something like that), but it isn't near as good as Challion.

Brooks finished Landover with his 8th(?) one. I wasn't totally satisfied with the ending, so I don't think it would be a huge loss if you didn't read it. Brooks really is one of those writers that you stop reading, and then rediscover from time to time.

I actually just checked-out the first Dresdon book from my library. I listen to books when I exercise and thought it would be interesting. So I'll have to see if I like it...I try to avoid stuff that gets too dark, but it sounds like this might be okay.

I'll have to look up Weber and Cook, sadly my library seems to be lacking in sufficient fantasy material, and I might have to go to the next town over to find some of these [Smile] .

I have to say that one reading that I really enjoyed that isn't scify/fantasy is the Jason Bourne books. You've probably read them, but if not they're a good try. They aren't your typical run-of-the-mill secret agent books, Robert Ludlum is a master! And even as a hard core fantasy reader I really enjoyed them.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmm, "The Broken Shards" kinda sound familiar so maybe I've seen something like that one.

I'm not sure how many Landover novels I've read. I think the last one is when he deals with a witch who puts him in a box.

The Dresden isn't as dark as Weber's other fantasy series. Most UF is dark- even the lighthearted ones- but some are significantly darker than others. I think the Dresden ones are lesser dark... if that makes sense. It might depend on which book too.

If you are into e-books you might try the Baen website. They give away some of the older e-books. The first Weber fantasy is one of those I believe. I know I have a copy on a CD some place.

I have read some non SF and non Fantasy even some nonfiction burt at the moment my writing is taking up most of my reading time. I used read two or three books a week, sometimes I even read while watching TV but now it's down to fifteen to thirty minutes a day-- usually closer to fifteen.

But it could be said that some secret agent books are fantasy. [Smile]

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oh BTW

If you like jazz you might like the dog day series by John Levitt. The MC is a jazz musician who fills in for others at times.

http://www.jlevitt.com

And Levitt has a band he belongs to, you can find a link on the web site. It's not jazz but some of it might be close.

Shaygirl
Member # 9761

I know how being busy is...and I cant honestly say that it is because I'm filling it with productive things. That's why I like e-books. Thanks for telling me about that website, I will definitely look into it!

I did stay up tell late last night finishing Sanderson's first The way of kings book...I loved it! But then again, most things can be considered lovable at 3 am... [Smile]

I'll also look at the Levitt link. I'm always up for some good reading, and music features a lot in my own writing...

Thanks much!

Shayla

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oops, I just realized I got two writers mixed up in my second to the last post.

Dresden is not a dark as Butcher's other series.

And I said that I seem to be the only one here who reads the same books I do. I must say though that there are a couple of Dresden fans here and that one person became addicted to a certain writer at my suggestion. But over all I still go by my statement.

There are a few Throne of Swords fans here but from what I hear about the series is not for me.

I am repeating myself but since you like Fantasy try C. E. Murphy. She has out maybe a dozen series, two are UF but the others are other types of fantasy. Actually one of those two might be paranormal romance. Deals with elves and the MC being attracted to one certain elf while she is dealing with a life changing discovery about herself. No, she isn't half elf but she does have a certain ability.

And I add that even though Murphy is one of two Storytellers I want to be like-- in fantasy that is-- she has made a major change in the personal life of one MC that wasn't explained well and I wish hadn't been made so she isn't a perfect writer but I still want to be like her. As a storyteller that is.

Shaygirl
Member # 9761

That's fine, authors tend to run together...I've attributed LOTR to Rowling so it's alright (I have this thing with thinking Tolkien and Rowling are similar?).

Throne of Swords...isn't that G.R.R.M? I tried to read the first book, but I just couldn't get into it...he's not exactly my style of author, though I can see he's very talented.

My reading this paranormal series all hinges on one important question...Do they get together in the end?! Naturally I'm torn as to if I want the answer to that question...so no. Don't tell me. I'll look it up and give it a try, since that's a favorite fantasy genre of mine.

And really, we all want to emulate some authors (Tolkien, Jones, etc.), but there are some things where our own writing preferences are better. To the glory of the individual!

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Throne is by Martin and is also a TV show.

As to the paranormal series by Murphy. No one knows yet how it will end, perhaps not even Murphy. The second book came out not that long ago.

And I see that Briggs has a new one out.

Shaygirl
Member # 9761

Is she one of those authors? Oh dear, now I have to read it, if only to guess what she does next! No don't try to understand it, I don't either.

Hmm, I have quite the list piled up. I finished the first Dresdon book, and found parts of it funny, and other parts not so funny. He's a good author though, so I might decide to listen to his next one. But not until I finish Sanderson's!

Sorry, it's late and I tend to ramble...

maggieS
Member # 9022

- posted      Profile for maggieS   Email maggieS         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all,
I don't know if I've ever introduced myself, so I'm gonna jump in here. I'm a clinical psychologist in private practice and I've been spending the last year or so just focusing on writing. I do see an occasional client, and keep up with my CE requirements for my degree. I was fortunate enough to meet Terry Brooks and Elizabeth George at a writing retreat in Ireland that the Maui Writing Conference (now defunct, sadly) put on. They were both very gracious and informative!
I just finished Brent Weeks' Shadow series, and started his Black Prism; I also just read book one of the Hunger Games series and started book 2. I love George Martin, Robert Jordon, Tolkein, Lewis, Rothfuss, and a host of others.
I think this is a bit of a long post, so I'll get to writing now!

Posts: 3 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maggieS, you are welcome to create your own topic for your introduction.
Posts: 8030 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, if LDWriter2 was late, I am phenomenally late. Sorry, Shaygirl, a mighty belated welcome!

Don’t miss The Hatrack Treehouse Adventures where you can learn all you want to about LDWriter2’s unicorn nemesis. And feel free to tell us about any adventures that you have while knocking about the Treehouse.

Once and future welcome, [Wink]

-Lady Tiger

Posts: 405 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaygirl
Member # 9761

My Lady Tiger,

I am a rather paranoid person, so I had my Mongoose patrol do a little checking around. I came well prepared for the unicorn, though I must say, LDWriter2 seems to be the only who clashes with the gold horn...

Thanks for your welcome!

Shaygirl

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hey stereotypical male response here but I think I have just been insulted by a couple of girls talking in front of my back.

But maybe that unicorn is just upset she got me late... I've been married for 33 years after all.

And I just happen to have a story or two with female unicorns in them. Actually one is a book that has one as a character. Oops that one isn't female. Forgot about that novel which makes it one more novel I need to get ready for publication one way or another but that's a topic on another thread.

Oh yes, there is a book with female unicorn as well as my latest story.

Shaygirl
Member # 9761

You're just jealous, unicorns are known for their love of young maidens. And you've got two points against you there.

And...I'll just leave it to your wife to explain the genetic differences between humans and unicorns.

Hmm, when you would like someone to read that book let me know. I'm fond of unicorns (They make great music listeners. She listens to me play the Steinway from time to time).

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Male unicorns are known for their love of fair maidens-- well except for one I know of. Female unicorns love handsome guys.

Anyway, thanks for the offer of reading but I have only two chapters revised and the unicorn doesn't show up until the end. I think the second to last chapter. Third to last maybe.

It's a UF novel with a difference, the MC isn't a wizard but he can see things others can't... except for when it comes to his love life. So it's sort of a mystery, part Romance as well adventure.

The story with the female unicorn-I don't think I was clear about that, is shorter. About 4,000 words.

Shaygirl
Member # 9761

Considering your greater knowledge of unicorns
I'm willing to concede the point sir! (BTW... who's the exception?)

Well I could only hope [Wink] . I'll just hypothesize and someday be proven wrong.

Your story sounds like it has great potential in three of my favorite catagories: Romance, Magic and Potential for MC humiliation. The last is the hardest for me to write, but it's almost always fun to read!

I must thank you though, you've given me a seed of a story thought...but I'll have to let it germinate while I write my business plan [Razz]

P.S. I'll thank you for your clarity, it's a dying thing these days.

History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll offer a diffent nonstereotypical (and ethical) opinion.
It is not the unsullied contrarian humsn gender that attracts unicorns, but innocence, purity, and love.
And for that, gender is irrelevent.

And, of course, as would-be writers, avoiding tired stereotypical tropes is essential.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1419 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Shaygirl that one is in the Spellsinger series by Alan Dean Foster. I think the last one but could be second to the last. Unless of course he's put out anymore in the last five years.

Dr. Bob even though our discuision works in this context, I think you have a point. In fact I have two stories that deal with that idea. One is my darkest story and deals with a unicorn that still allows a girl who was recently gang raped to still touch him. Separately her dad and the unicorn go after the rapists.

The other story hasn't been written out yet and doesn't have any unicorns, and I'm not sure if I ever will write it out, I need to figure out something that bothers me for personal reasons. Basically it deals with two "gods" talking about a woman who just got married the night before. She was a virgin who served one "god". The other "god" says she can't be a servant any longer because she isn't pure anymore so he won by denying the other Being a servant. But the other "god" just laughs and tells him he never did understand purity of heart. She gave herself to her husband out of love so her heart is still pure.

Shaygirl
Member # 9761

LDWriter2: I'll have a look at it. I just finished my homework so during spring break I'll have time to finish a crit and hunt for reading material.

Dr. Bob: I agree. I puts me in mind of story that I was practically raised on as a child called "The Song of a Unicorn" (I think). It is similar to LDWriter2's tale, except the girl was supposed to capture the unicorn for Moran Le Fey, and in return Le Fey would heal the girl's mother. But the child couldn't bring herself to capture it, even though the unicorn gave her that chance. So I'd say unicorns just have the innate ability to tell a person's character.

Which would be awfully helpful when interviewing prospective dates [Big Grin]

Shaygirl

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

BTW. If you like fantasies I think you will love The Spellsinger. A guy from her is transported to another world with magic and magical animals. But every warm blooded animal has human intelligence and can talk. That included birds and four footed animals like the unicorn. Many have arms and legs and are close to human size... a couple are bigger.

And insects are the same. You want to be creeped out read the first or second book where the MC has to let a black widow spider at least three times his size feel him.

I think these books bring out Foster's mastery at writing and storytelling.

I don't know if he really is but I count the MC to be the First Spellsinger.

Oh and which story was the one you would look over? I forget.

Shaygirl
Member # 9761

I HATE SPIDERS!!! I'll have to close my eyes when I read that part...

I'll give it a try and see what I think, apparently the Brandon S. book I was reading has only one book in the series right now so I'm out on a limb. But I do have to try that one by Murphy...Ughh! So many dilemas!

I was talking about the second to last Spellsinger one that you weren't sure was the last or not...but I should probably start with the first one. [Smile]

pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shaygirl:

[Big Grin]

I used to be terrfied of them, until I took up veg growing [Big Grin]

Seriously, I used to scream for my wife like a little girl. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 724 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pdblake:
quote:
Originally posted by Shaygirl:

[Big Grin]

I used to be terrfied of them, until I took up veg growing, now I can pick them up and play with them. [Big Grin]

Seriously, I used to scream for my wife like a little girl. [Roll Eyes]

Well that was supposed to be an edit, doh. And I work in IT [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 724 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

This is a bit late so hopefully you will read it.
Oh, I was just reminded. If you like quirky lighthearted fantasies you should try the MYTH series by Robert Asprin. They are a little shorter than normal but I still love them. I have the latest sitting in my to read pile.

Shaygirl
Member # 9761

Thanks for letting me know! I'll give it a look. I really need to start a "need to read" pile. [Smile]

But currently I have to finish editing my short story and start building up a finished shorts pile as well. I have a lot of work to do, and very, very little time to do it in. College prep stuff is currently taking up a lot of my time.

And then I have my main work I still need to start on. [Frown]

Question. What magazines, websites, etc. would be good places to send short stories? The short story world is really new to me, so frankly I don't know where to even start!

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I had the same problem when I started. I ended up checking out a couple magazine's web sites and I think got a couple addresses from other people. And on a couple of minor web sites that list a magazines.

But there are two sites that have large lists of magazines and other markets.

I like ralan.com Ralan lists each magazine or anthology or contest etc on a pro, semipro, pay, free list. Easy to navigate and look over. He lists each market's pay, word count and if they want mailed and/or E submissions.

but most here seem to like http://duotrope.com

They use a color coding for pay but have a couple of features that Ralan doesn't have. And evidently now you have to sign up to use it but it's free so isn't that big of deal. And evidently they have a forum where you can discuss markets and how long they take to get back to you. Ralan just lists what is the average time a market gets back to you.

Duotrope seems to have changed and improved since I first found them four years ago or so but as I said I still like ralan.com

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

PS

Both of those sites lists the pay, so you can decide what level you want to send your stuff too. Many here go for only pro markets- Currently I believe that is five cents and up a word-, a few here send to anything that pays. I go down to three cents a word even though a couple I send to pay one amount per story. Such as one that pays Fifty dollars per story no matter how long the story is. I send them shorter stories only.

Many of the flash- 1,000 words or less- pay per story. Some pay five dollars, others ten and one or two go up even higher.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.