Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hola!

Author Topic: Hola!
babygears81
Member # 9745

- posted      Profile for babygears81   Email babygears81         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello, I'm looking to join the forum to get some feedback on a novel I am almost finished writing. I have a lot of work to do in the editing process still, but my first draft is complete. If I stay on schedule, and so far I have, then I expect to get through that in the next couple of months. I have never written anything in my entire life, save two short stories in college. I was an English major in college, but never took a creative writing class, something I regret now.

This creative writing business is new to me, but I've found that since I have been an avid reader my whole life I have internalized a lot of the techniques and what have you. Most importantly, writing this book has been an awesome experience. I feel like I am living a double life because I live the life of my characters, and it is so exciting! If I knew writing creatively were this much fun, I would have started a long time ago.

I actually know very little about the fantasy/sci-fi genre as I am more of a classics girl. In fact, I'm not even certain that my book classifies as fantasy, but I guess that is a topic for a different discussion. Looking forward to getting to know some of you and your work.

Toodles.

Posts: 112 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3664 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hola back to you. [Smile]

Sounds almost like the way I started. I had no idea there was so much to writing when I started my first novel. My writing may still show I haven't learned much.

The Treehouse is very good: with friendly people, those who know a thing or three about writing and don't mind sharing.

We have had discussions on what is Fantasy, we decided its wide open so yours could very well be a type of fantasy.

Be welcome and have fun writing

Posts: 4632 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the Hatrack Treehouse! Don’t miss checking out The Hatrack Treehouse Adventures! Have fun, and welcome once again.

-Lady Tiger

Posts: 405 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygears81
Member # 9745

- posted      Profile for babygears81   Email babygears81         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone! Happy to be here. [Smile]
Posts: 112 | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings. Have a lovely brownie.

Many of the "classics" are sci fi or fantasy, or much sci fi and fantasy is classic, depending on how you look at it, and many classic/literary authors wrote stories with speculative and/or supernatural elements. Your other posts show an interest in folklore, and in the end there is really little difference between that and fantasy "fiction." All that happened was people forgot that it was true and so started calling it fiction.

Posts: 2563 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shaygirl
Member # 9761

- posted      Profile for Shaygirl   Email Shaygirl         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome babygears81!

And if you read it, you can write it. It just takes thought process and time...but if you're like me, the first comes all the time, and the second...well...it's a struggle [Wink]

Again Welcome!

Shaygirl

P.S. If you like music, you'll find me in the piano room, second floor, right of the library. Big blue doors.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.