Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hello!

Author Topic: Hello!
dantztutu
Member # 9184

- posted      Profile for dantztutu   Email dantztutu         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I'm Dantzel. I've been intending to join the forum (and all its delights) since attending Bootcamp in 2010, but somehow the registration process was NOT working in my favor at the time, so I gave up for over a year. I fixed it all recently, and am eager to get into the discussions. I have wanted to be a writer nearly my whole life and got my degree in English, but pursuing writing and actually writing didn't click for me until probably 3 or 4 years ago. I feel like I'm a more 'serious' writer with every passing month, with new skills and hopefully better writing! I write science fiction and fantasy, and would like to pursue steampunk soon. I have 4 stories out on the market, and am working on a children's fantasy novel. It's amazing how the more I write, the more ideas I have. Who knew!! [Smile]

I love all things artistic - besides writing and reading, my other major passion is dance. Though I love dancing in ANY form, I trained particularly in ballet, jazz, hiphop, and modern. I feel lucky and blessed to teach dance, as well as yoga and Pilates, on a nearly fulltime basis. When I have time to act all domestic for my husband, I love baking, cooking, etc., although that part of my brain turns off when I'm in writing mode - oops. I'm SLIGHTLY obsessed with cats. I only own one at the moment, but my husband agreed that when I make my first sale we can get another.

I've enjoyed fantasy my whole life, but I fell in love with science fiction after reading "Harrison Bergeron" in 8th or 9th grade. I am a huge fan of Card, and also enjoy Asimov, Tad Williams, Dan Wells, Brandon Sanderson, C.S. Lewis, Charles Stross (although, admittedly, I struggle with his hard SF stories), James Herriot, Robert Jordan, and many others.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3663 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.

As it looks like you know already this is a good place to learn about the craft of writing-- even some about the business of writing and a few things about life.

Sounds like you have a good incentive to get something published, there are people here who can help you with that goal.

Have you tried Lisa Shearin, Glen Cook, K. E. Mills?

And as you explore the treehouse do be careful you might run -literally--into armored Marines, a griffon, a white dragon with wicked eyes and a young woman with two toned dyed short hair who has a chip on her shoulder even though she tries to help. She usually wears leather or denim. She can be.. umm, well not mean but she can be angry.

What? you expected me to say something else???

Posts: 4630 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome Dantzel!

LD is referring to his penchant for maligning our resident unicorn, Ash. If you’d care to learn more about her, visit the The Hatrack Treehouse Adventures.

Good luck with your goals, see you in F&F,

-Lady Tiger

Posts: 405 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantztutu
Member # 9184

- posted      Profile for dantztutu   Email dantztutu         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the welcome! I heard there was cheesecake?

I've read Glen Cook, but only Sweet Silver Blues, and I haven't read Shearin or Mills. Which of their books do you recommend?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dantzel,

I know you... Here in the treehouse, I wear these Groucho Marx glasses, so I run around in disguise doing my best to instruct with humor.

However, I'm still learning, so I'm at around 50/50 now with advice dispensage, and advice learnage.

See you in the funny papers.

Axe

Posts: 1443 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dantztutu

As you may know Cook has two or three series out. I read only the Garrett ones. The others seem a bit to dark for me. But I love Garrett, well there were a couple of issues with the last book. In fact I'm not totally sure if Cook wrote it, there seems to be certain sections that didn't seem like him. Maybe he was in a hurry or was distracted with RL. And there were a couple of changes I definitely didn't like.

Shearin has only one series out. http://www.lisashearin.com

I like reading about Riane her MC. Even though with what Shearin has in her store I wonder if her target address are people a bit younger and more female than I am. But I don't care either.

Mills has out a trilogy(no link here since I haven't been to her web site) and is suppose to be working on a new one but I haven't seen it yet, which may not mean much. I would like more books in the trilogy. But here is her page at Barnes and Noble-- evidently her new book is out Mills

A PS here. It looks like the fourth book is my wish after all. And it doesn't seem to be the one that was previewed in Mill's last book.

Posts: 4630 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings. Have a lovely red velvet cupcake.
Posts: 2563 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oh and I just had two red velvet cupcakes at work... I think the same day Merlion-Emrys posted this.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
somehow the registration process was NOT working in my favor at the time
While looking for the person who has-is-will be- writing a UF novel that takes place in Japan, I reread your intro. And just recalled that I have had that problem with WotF's forum and the official Jim Butcher site. But now that I have a new computer with upgraded everything--softeware and hardware- it just might work now.

Of course my old computer wasn't that far obsolete. But we shall see.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.