Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » My Introduction:

Author Topic: My Introduction:
Eliza C
Member # 9805

- posted      Profile for Eliza C           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been writing speculative fiction for about 12 years now (and, wow, has that gone by fast) and have 2 completed novels - one currently in the quarterfinals of Amazon's Breakthrough Novel Contest, and the other, just completed, out with beta readers. I've been an active member of the Online Writing Workshop for SF, F and H for 3 or 4 years and a slush reader for ASIM for the past couple of years. A few of my short stories have been published in semi-pro and token paying magazines and I've finally had some recent near-misses at pro magazines. My goal ever since I started writing short stories has been SFWA membership, but it's proving to be elusive!

I recently saw Hatrack mentioned by another writer and thought it was about time I checked it out - it looks like a fantastic resource. I've had OSC's "How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy" on my bookshelf for years and I'm looking forward to exploring the articles and info on this site.

Normally I'd ease into this, read a bit, then review a bit, but I have a short story kind-of under the gun. Thought maybe I'd run the first 13 lines here. I understand the importance of give and take, and if I post, I will be back soon to review something for other folks.

[ April 21, 2012, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: Eliza C ]

Posts: 42 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3936 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well welcome oh busy one. [Smile]

Nice to meet you and it sounds like you might be able to tell us a couple of things about editors too.

But as you explore the ol' treehouse do be careful. Rooms can move, strange music comes from the music room lately, there's a griffin that prowls around

And of course ye old unicorn, she can be a bit on the persnickety side at times.

Posts: 4892 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eliza C
Member # 9805

Thanks Meredith and LD for the welcome [Smile]
LD - at the least, I should be qualified to tell you what the editors I've queried *don't* like <grin>. (And BTW, I love griffins.)

Posts: 42 | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well met, Eliza. We are glad to have you among us.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome. Good luck with the Breakthrough Novel Contest.

Hatrack has taught me so much, in ways I can't even name, and it's a great way to make friends in the industry.

Check out the challenge section. That's where I've learned the most.

Welcome.

Posts: 1193 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eliza C
Member # 9805

Thanks MartinV and shimiqua!
And thanks for the tip on the challenge section, shimqua. One of the enticing things about writing is that infinite learning curve - and I usually enjoy a good challenge.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.