Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » That's one small step...

Author Topic: That's one small step...
StephenAZ
Member # 9888

- posted      Profile for StephenAZ   Email StephenAZ         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great to be here. I'm Stephen, from Arizona, married, slave to a diabolically clever cocker spaniel, and haunted by three novels in various stages of undress on my hard drive.

Novel A -- a literary nightmare of overwritten, gorgeous scenery where practically nothing worth telling has happened, so far.

Novel B -- a post-American thriller where the constitutional republic has been usurped by an insatiably hungry corporate entity bent on world domination...oh wait, that's the view out my window...never mind.

Novel C -- a fantasy world set in the very distant future where nine humanoid races have emerged from a nuclear winter to find earth's atmosphere comprised of <14% oxygen...enough to live on but insufficient for many things we take for granted, like striking a match. The best part of this one, so far, is the maps I've drawn, well, that and the six-legged, mountain dwelling mammals; the extra limbs giving them a 'leg up' for climbing.

I also dabble in short stories, bad beginnings, endings without middles, and all other manner of literary offenses, yes, even poetry. On top of this, I manage a bookstore where I'm subjected daily to hundreds of equally awful attempts at fiction along with the euphoria inducing joy of occasionally discovering a really great read before anyone else.

Thrilled to be here, this verbose devourer of words loves to critique and expects to learn more than he teaches through that process.

Oh, and I'm a certified Unicorn trainer with a "DSM," i.e. a De-Snarking Minor.

Did I mention that I'm thrilled to be here?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JoBird
Member # 9883

- posted      Profile for JoBird   Email JoBird         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I'm very new here myself. Welcome, look forward to reading anything you get around to putting up.

I have a cocker spaniel myself, black and tan. Of course, she's not diabolical. She's mostly good, and I tell her that every day.

Posts: 94 | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I also dabble in short stories, bad beginnings, endings without middles, and all other manner of literary offenses, yes, even poetry. On top of this, I manage a bookstore where I'm subjected daily to hundreds of equally awful attempts at fiction along with the euphoria inducing joy of occasionally discovering a really great read before anyone else.
Grand Introdution. But this had me rolling.

Welcome!

Posts: 1130 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3900 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So welcome to the school of endings and the cleaning up of muddle middles.

Your Novel B was done twenty-thirty years ago but a new update could be what we need, [Smile]

Novel C sound smote like those distropa(?) books that have been hitting the shelves lately. But it may have a bit of twist so that could be good.

quote:
Evidently you're not the only one to have this problem--except running the bookstore--so be of good cheer you be in good company.

But remember the unicorn can be mean in other ways besides snarky-ness. [Wink]

And I must say after reading for synopses and what else you had to say that you do have an interesting way of titling your novels.

Posts: 4847 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
variable_1960
Member # 9837

- posted      Profile for variable_1960   Email variable_1960         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome! And don't forget to back up your hard drive. ;-)
Posts: 5 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mayflower988
Member # 9858

- posted      Profile for mayflower988   Email mayflower988         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, what or who is the unicorn again? (And welcome, Stephen - I'm a recent addition myself.)
Posts: 286 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.