Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Newbie Intro

Author Topic: Newbie Intro
kmsf
Member # 9905

- posted      Profile for kmsf   Email kmsf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Everyone,

I am a newcomer to the board and am currently about 4k corraled words into an SF novel. Many moons ago I dropped out of an MFA program after the first year and a couple of publications which I wouldn't show anyone. My current project is defined well enough that I have a flexible structure on which to discovery write the details. Yes, that sounds like mumbo-jumbo to me, too. But it's the best description of the process I can give at this point.

A few years after leaving the MFA program I had the unexpected pleasure of a semi-private conversation with a well-known writer who told me, "It's not like math or anything like that. It doesn't go away." I intuitively knew he was correct. Then three years ago I discovered my inner SF/F geek when I read the first paragraph of The Hobbit. And that writer is correct. In fact, I love it when it won't leave me alone.

I really look forward to learning from everyone and truly hope I can contribute. There is so much to learn.

Thank You.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.

Oh, and by the way, your description of your process makes perfect sense to me. Guess it takes another discovery writer. [Smile]

Posts: 3680 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmsf
Member # 9905

- posted      Profile for kmsf   Email kmsf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Meredith! [Smile]
Posts: 83 | Registered: Aug 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoptoad
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for hoptoad   Email hoptoad         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi kmsf!
no, it doesn't ever go away.

Writers, of all people, should know never to refuse 'the call to adventure' [Smile]

Posts: 1678 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.
Posts: 1130 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmsf
Member # 9905

Thanks hoptoad and Tiergan! It was either answer or suffer misery. Good to be here [Smile]
wise
Member # 9779

- posted      Profile for wise   Email wise         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome!

"It's not like math or anything like that. It doesn't go away."

I wish someone had told me that a long time ago, maybe I'd have kept with writing instead of thinking I could escape it. Then I'd be much farther along than I am now. Oh, well, I look to Grandma Moses as inspiration.

Posts: 95 | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, hello, nice to meet ya.

This is a nice friendly site with people who know a thing or three about writing and don't mind sharing. Even if you are coming back to writing.

Two things, First as you explore this many roomed treehouse watch out for the unicorn she can be mean at times.

And as far as I know we've never had a radio station join the group.

Ducks and runs to the door to the next thread.

Oh, oh another idea for a story there.

Posts: 4661 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmsf
Member # 9905

wise, don't feel bad. I was told that in November of '97 or so... it took me a long time to finally get miserable enough to write again regardless of the financial aspects. I now see that this is where I will be as successful as I am supposed to be.

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

LDWriter2, it's been a quiet week in Abingdon, Virginia, my home town... The rain seems to fall at the same time every day. On Tuesday, the McCulloughs tilled their squash under. The smell of mold seemed to permeate their back yard, and the neighbors began to wonder whether...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.