Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » 8 years later

Author Topic: 8 years later
mop
Member # 10192

- posted      Profile for mop           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello. My name's Mitch. I actually used to post here, under the names rustafarianblackpolar bear and also as just Mitch, which I now don't have access to. Was reading over my old posts last night- turns out I was quite pigheaded and a bit spastic at 15-16. Not much has changed.

(Actually, my grammar and punctuation seems to have come a long way. I credit this community a lot in that regard.)

Was never a reader as a kid, then an English teacher at about 15 gave me Ender's Game. Read it, loved it, read the whole series and a lot of other science fiction and eventually broadened my horizons, but that book and teacher definitely set off a chain reaction. Found this site and this workshop, and for a time there I wanted to be a writer like you guys.

Turns out it's actually really hard and I guess I lost hope and gave up. But, reading back my old posts, I think what I really lost was the love of writing. I got too hung up on the idea of being published and writing for others, albeit unsuccessfully, rather than for my own pleasure. I lost the joy of it. Kind of sad really, I actually do remember after last nights effort just how much I used to love just writing and losing myself in these worlds I dreamed up.

So why am I here? I finally saw the Ender's Game movie last night (I'm in Australia). Huge deal for me. Loved it. So here I am back at Hatrack River, inspired all over again to give it another shot. Look forward to getting to know the current crowd and critiquing each others stories like old times.

Posts: 1 | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back.
Posts: 3899 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, mop.

The Poet's Journey is a long and tortuous expedition, and sacred to we who will not be deterred though detours intervene.

Posts: 3398 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice to meet you Mitch Mop Polar Bear. [Wink]
quote:
Originally posted by mop:
... I think what I really lost was the love of writing. I got too hung up on the idea of being published and writing for others, albeit unsuccessfully, rather than for my own pleasure. I lost the joy of it. Kind of sad really, I actually do remember after last nights effort just how much I used to love just writing and losing myself in these worlds I dreamed up.

Wow, this is SO me right now.

I used to write stories for various contests around the web. Many times they were what gave me the idea of what to write. (I'm lousy at coming up with story ideas.) But after a while I stopped because many times I couldn't use the story for anything else.

But after a long drought I've concluded that at least they had me writing. (And improving my craft, which can not be understated!)

So, here's to you starting up again.

See you around the web,
Axe

Posts: 1467 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.