Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hi all!

Author Topic: Hi all!
Indigochapter
Member # 10210

- posted      Profile for Indigochapter           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone, I'm newly registered and ready to participate!

I'm fairly new to the old writing game and I'm looking forward to learning more about the craft at hatrack.

I'm currently in the process of planning my first story, complete with skeleton structure, fictitious map and ludicrous character names. In doing this, I came to the conclusion that I'm in need of some writing practice and constructive feedback. I recently tried to write an opening chapter and became immediately frustrated with my writing style.

So folks, where can I start participating in writing exercises and presenting my writing to hatrack scrutiny?

Nice to be a part of this. I look forward to the feedback.

Many thanks,

Indi

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.

As to your questions:

There's not a challenge going on right now, but just watch. One will turn up soon, I bet.

For feedback, enter the first 13 lines in a new thread in Fragments and Feedback for Books. You can get feedback and ask for people to trade first chapters with.

Posts: 3899 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indigochapter, hello.

Writing frustrations are a plague for all us struggling writers. A leg forward along the Poet's Journey accepts that early raw and rough drafts capture only an inspiration's kernels. Revision, rewriting, reworking refines the raw ore into expression concentrates and eventually precious materials.

I have a challenge on the back burner ready for debut early February if no other challenge comes up beforehand. One challenge about every other month seems a number that pools interest without becoming overly burdensome or diluted by overlap frequency. The challenge I have in mind asks for an imitation of the narrative voice from a public domain excerpt. Public domain because of copyright concerns. An entry should post both the thirteen lines piece imitated and the thirteen lines imitation.

Posts: 3398 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just updated the Please, Read Here First topics so they should be visible.

If you haven't read them, please go do it now--there aren't very many posts, so it shouldn't take long. It will help you better understand how things work around here and how to start participating.

Welcome, Indigochapter. I hope we can be of use to you with your writing.

Posts: 7995 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for Smiley   Email Smiley         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, what she said! [Big Grin]
And welcome!

Posts: 139 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.