Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hi

Author Topic: Hi
Kent_A_Jones
Member # 10234

- posted      Profile for Kent_A_Jones   Email Kent_A_Jones         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a divorced, former house husband and father of two. I trained in fiction writing thirty years ago and am working my craft back into shape.

I think critique of other's work is the best tool I have in improving my thought processes about my own work. There are certain things I will not do in critique: I don't correct grammar or spelling, I will not ask what an author meant, I will not suggest that a story be written another way (such as changing tense), I don't read other critiques before writing my own.

I have an opinion, and that's all I offer. I use personal pronouns to reinforce the fact that critiques I write are my opinion alone. No one should ever think that I am any kind of an authority, ever. I use my opinion in an attempt to improve the work in front of me.

On a personal note, I am interested in almost everything, so I thought it was pointless to start a list in my profile. For example, I wrote the chess club constitution for my college, secured faculty sponsorship and became its first president. I also wrote the tree identification Key that the biology department uses for campus dendrology.

Posts: 56 | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howdy there.

I think you will fit in with us--we come from varied backgrounds with different life experiences.

And most of our critiques are opinion even when we-yes I am included in that-think we know something about how to write and what editors want.

So join in with the fun and learning, however as you explore the treehouse do be careful, there's this unicorn who wonders around and she can be mean.

Posts: 4847 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the workshop, Kent_A_Jones.

Please reconsider whether you won't pay attention to grammar for critique responses. The easiest cause for rejection is faulty grammar. Pointing out grammar faults benefits both writer and criiquer as writer. We cannot in any regard correct grammar anyway, nor at anytime except for fragments posted for critique. Only posters, and Ms. Dalton Woodbury on occasion, may correct, revise their posts. We may only point out what doesn't work or does work for us individually: style, craft, voice, and appeal-wise. If a transcendent rhetorical intent trumps an otherwise fault, faulty grammar may actually work, though.

Grammar as part of mechanical style, each as part of rhetoric overall, is part of craft, voice, and appeal, each overlapping with each other harmoniously and enhancing all.

I include for consideration minor, common situational grammar faults, like faulty punctuation and homonym faults, as well as more advanced and extended faults, like faulty clause compounding and highest grammar tiers overall, like logic (logos), credibility (ethos), emotional (pathos), and timeliness (kairos) appeals.

[ March 03, 2014, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Posts: 3408 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3900 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.