Hatrack River
Home † | † About Orson Scott Card † | † News & Reviews † | † OSC Library † | † Forums † | † Contact † | † Links
Research Area † | † Writing Lessons † | † Writers Workshops † | † OSC at SVU † | † Calendar † | † Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Newbe Sci-fi Author Wannabe

Author Topic: Newbe Sci-fi Author Wannabe
LindseyCotler
Member # 10238

- posted      Profile for LindseyCotler   Email LindseyCotler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Iím a guy in his 50ís who grew up just as Star Trek was having its first run. Iíve always loved Sci-fi from Tolkien to Vonnegut, though I really donít read as much as I used to. I still go to all the major Sci-fi movies and watch the major Sci-fi TV shows but I've not written fiction since I was 10 due to my having developed Dystonia, a neuromuscular disorder. Iím a computer programmer by trade and have been writing technical manuals for work since my mid twenties. 5 years ago I had brain surgery, which relived most of my symptoms. Iíve always been a natural storyteller and have since my surgery been writing snarky sci-fi while trying to develop my atrophied writing skills.

Iím keen to show others my work, but realize I need to pay my dues first by critiquing others. And I do realize that critiquing is the best way for me to improve my skills Ė I learn fastest by example.

Iím trying to do my first critique today and would like to know how I can get my hands onto someoneís 13 lines so I can start. Iím already proficient in using Wordís Tracking Changes feature. I will update this post later today if I figure it out before anyone tells me. [Confused]

Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LindseyCotler
Member # 10238

- posted      Profile for LindseyCotler   Email LindseyCotler         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, found the lines and submitted my critique. What now? Will I get a response emailed back to me? Will I get an email if anyone responds to this post?
Posts: 6 | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack, LindseyCotler.

For how to receive e-mail notifications of responses and such to posts, etc., visit the Hatrack faq page.

Specifically, for the areas of your e-mail response and reply notification interests: E-mail notification faqs

No newbie or wannbe writers here, by the way, nor aspiring or any other diminutive term. Published or otherwise, we are all writers, period, equally struggling writers. Welcome again to the Hatrack tribe, fellow poet. May your Poet's Journey be fruitful, rewarding, and meaningful.

Posts: 3412 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the tree house.
Posts: 3900 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been behind in my greetings lately but I saw this one so

I say Howdy there and welcome.

And you aren't the only one here in that age bracket.

And extrinsic is correct about being a writer.

Oh yes do be careful as you look around the treehouse--it has many more rooms than you would think and a certain unicorn wonders about as she will, and she can be mean at times.

Posts: 4847 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.