Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Hi

Author Topic: Hi
praslek
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for praslek   Email praslek         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I'm here to be part of a community of writers, with the hope that it will help me to continue writing everyday and setting aside time for it.

My goal is to publish a science fiction novel, but for now I'm still figuring out how to write at all.

I'm very interested in reading other people's work, so I'll be trying to do as much of that as possible.

Background:
I study molecular biology
Also, I used to study history
I have a small collection of swords and sword-like objects (Maybe that will prove useful for writing in fantasy settings?)
I guess it's worth mentioning that I'm intimately acquainted with death, grief, and mourning

Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome. I hope you find what you're looking for here. The conversations can, at times, become quite robust, but in the main are earnest rather than derogatory. Don some light armour, you won't need full plate.

Phil

Posts: 581 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, praslek, to the river of the rack for hats, where brains, not emotions, overheat from creative perspirations.

I studied writing pedagogy and androgogy at graduate school as part of English and creative writing studies, AFA, BFA undergraduate and MA graduate, and publishing arts and sciences and social sciences. I could share a few primers on composition writing generally.

Hey, Grumpy old guy, welcome back, or "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" (Frost), after a year's hiatus?

Posts: 3398 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.

Can I get an example of a "sword-like object?"

Posts: 1222 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnMac
Member # 8472

- posted      Profile for JohnMac   Email JohnMac         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the playground!
Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 3899 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a little late but be welcome and you have come to the right place to learn the craft of writing.
Posts: 4846 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
praslek
Member # 10242

- posted      Profile for praslek   Email praslek         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the warm welcome, I look forward to reading some of your works.

Sword-like object? Well, I'm thinking of the gladius-shaped machete that Cold Steel manufactures. It is similar to a real gladius, but it doesn't have the correct blade profile, it has a plastic hilt, the blade is covered with a black anti-rust coating, as well as many other differences. I don't comment on the balance or weight because I haven't found any numbers that seem to be accurate.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.