Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » "Hello," he said.

Author Topic: "Hello," he said.
Webdancer
Member # 10332

- posted      Profile for Webdancer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everybody,

My name is Joseph and I have been writing for about nine years now in an attempt to be able to quit the day job and become a reclusive writer genius. Or just create interesting stories and let the world enjoy them. (probably a more realistic goal) I like reading sci-fi, fantasy, horror, military fiction, drama--um well in reality I am open to most things. I even read a Daniel Steel book once, cannot say I enjoyed it, but I did it for a girl I was going out with in high school. Ahh all for the love of a maiden. I like to write suspense and horror primarily, however I have a few sci-fi ideas also. I would like to write a fantasy without falling back to Tolkien tropes.

Anyway, I'm here to be part of a literary community. I don't know if it is a bad sign that whenever I get someone to read my story, I never hear back from them, or if I just give it to people that are very busy. I would just like to get some feedback sometime. And if it comes at the expense of helping fellow writers, even better.

Joseph

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 4476 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Joseph. Jump write in, the water's fine and the treehouse is a great place to learn about what to do and about what you may want to reconsider doing.

Phil.

Posts: 1605 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What you wish for, Webdancer--feedback--fair caution, may be as much and more what you wish for.

Consider the "expense" of critique that a critiquer benefits more than a writer from the process, the covert purpose. Two key and parallel concepts inform critique: works for moi; doesn't work for moi. Like and dislike are personal sentiments. Works and doesn't work fo me are subjective positions about strengths and shortcomings, respectively.

Though usually couched in writing workshops as objective, works and doesn't work's foremost value is for the critiquer's draft writing, revision, and editing skills development benefits, thus personally objective, though perhaps personally subjective for the writer. If a writer benefits as well, that's a writing workshop bonus, strength, overt purpose.

Posts: 5448 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lamberguesa
Member # 10320

- posted      Profile for Lamberguesa   Email Lamberguesa         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, oh dancer of the webs. We hope you enjoy your stay at the treehouse. Good to have you around.
9 years is quite a while to be writing, keep up the good work! Looking forward to reading some of it. Also, watch out for that extrinsic fellow, 'es a critiquing machine! [Wink]

Posts: 80 | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Webdancer
Member # 10332

- posted      Profile for Webdancer           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the hearty welcome. Sorry, I had to dash away from my dream to deal with life for a bit. I'm back now, for another bit, not unlike slipping through the wardrobe into another land.

Now then, let's have a peek around for a bit . . .

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome... to the Hatrack Treehouse! [Big Grin]

-Lady Tiger

Posts: 455 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.