Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » New writer

Author Topic: New writer
Delgreco
Member # 10607

- posted      Profile for Delgreco   Email Delgreco         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New to the site and looking forward to writing feedback, perhaps eventually giving some as well. I began writing for fun within the last year, but have always been an avid reader. I enjoy sci-fi/fantasy for the most part but also the occasional thriller.

When I first found this resource months ago it seemed daunting to submit anything. Now I just feel interested. I am in a writing group that meets once a week, but we are all very much amateurs and kind of unorganized. While I certainly value their feedback I'm looking forward to learning from a new group of people who have been about this longer.

See you on the forums,
Del

Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello and welcome. [Smile] Pleased to meet you, Del.
Posts: 561 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Del.

Phil.

Posts: 1465 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Delgreco, I can absolutely promise you that if you attempt to give feedback now, instead of later, you will learn even more than you would have just receiving feedback.

And people who have been here for a while tend to be more willing to give feedback to those who have shown their involvement by giving feedback as well. (They've noticed that those who only come here to receive feedback are not as likely to contribute much, and may not even appreciate the effort expended to give them that feedback.)

Posts: 8415 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the hats rack at the river writing community tree house.

Workshop feedback is about what works and what doesn't work for any given responder. Feedback usually accrues more skill insight for a responder than for a feedback receiver, too. That's about it in an eggcorn.

Posts: 4740 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 4303 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
H Reinhold
Member # 10553

- posted      Profile for H Reinhold   Email H Reinhold         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Del!

I definitely second the advice about giving feedback if you can. I've learnt a lot more, here and elsewhere, through studying other peoples' writing than through receiving feedback on my own. Very often my eyes are only opened to see problems in my own work after I've learnt to spot and understand them first in someone else's.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathy_K
Member # 10546

- posted      Profile for Kathy_K   Email Kathy_K         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Del! I only joined a week or so ago, but I am already reaping the benefits. Reading other submissions and giving feedback is extremely useful. Equally educational is reading the feedback posted by other people on those works. I've submitted just one thing of my own, but the feedback I got was illuminating, to say the least. This place is such an amazing resource for a developing writing. Like you, I'm in a writing group (we meet every other week) and I feel that I will become a better group member there from being involved in this online community. Can't wait to hear your thoughts and read your work.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Aug 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delgreco
Member # 10607

- posted      Profile for Delgreco   Email Delgreco         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for the encouragement to provide feedback myself. I can certainly see how that is beneficial to both parties. Regardless of how I feel about my current level of ability and knowledge, these things don't invalidate my response. Even if it as simple as, "this didn't work for me. I'm not sure why."

Thanks for the welcome,
Del

Posts: 3 | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.