Hatrack River
Home   |   About Orson Scott Card   |   News & Reviews   |   OSC Library   |   Forums   |   Contact   |   Links
Research Area   |   Writing Lessons   |   Writers Workshops   |   OSC at SVU   |   Calendar   |   Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » hello!

Author Topic: hello!
kirsten.j
Member # 10779

- posted      Profile for kirsten.j           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone!

I'm a 27-year-old aspiring audiologist from Maryland. I just joined the Writers Workshop because I have a story I've been working on for AGES that I think just might be (almost) ready for a critique. I've been working on it for maybe four or five years now, I can't really remember. I recently had to take a medical leave from grad school so I've had plenty of time to write. I'm excited to possibly post my first 13 lines in a few weeks or so and also to try my hand at critiquing others.

I loved creative writing when I was a kid, starting at around age 7, but by the time I was in high school, it seemed my creative juices had dried up. Since then, I've been writing constantly, but mainly just about my thoughts and experiences-- nothing creative. I'm trying really hard to be creative again, because it's so rewarding. It's especially fun because I've been feeling somewhat isolated recently due to health problems and creative writing is a great way to feel alive while not having to leave your house. [Smile]

I've been a fan of OSC since 7th grade, and I used to be part of the general Hatrack forum (I think my username was Soara but I'm not sure about that). I think I was part of the Writers Workshop at that time, too (around 2004 or 2005, I think) but I have no clue what my username was, and it was a lot different back then. I remember posting a story and getting some great feedback. I'm sure it's just as great a forum as it used to be.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to being a part of the forum!

kirsten

Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kirsten.j
Member # 10779

- posted      Profile for kirsten.j           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update: Just realized that I was part of the Young Writers Forum back in 2004 or 2005, not this forum. (It doesn't exist anymore). Wish I could find my old story! I don't have it saved anymore. Oh well.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back to Hatrack!

Curious, audiology doctorate degree? Master's maybe?

Been to a few audiology clinics myself, for part of a thorough physical exam anticipated for military academy admission. Passed those, failed at two other health conditions and -- tel est la vie: such is life, admission rejected. Recently found out the heart murmur's true causes, found on echocardiogram a bicuspid aortic valve from fetal development, instead of the ninety-nine out of a hundred persons' tricuspid valve. The other decline was myopia, also from fetal development, inherited. Rejected.

Other later adult health considerations also affect and evoke my prose and publication passions, also inherited conditions; though as well, from an early age, prose reading, composition, and publication have consumed my discretionary time and, of late, my vocational life: BFA and MA English degrees, creative writing, editing, critical analysis, publication, and social sciences concentrations.

Ah! but life's daily living demands intruded all along and to this day. Yet many decline letters for attempted publication. Dress rehearsals, I say. Several publication project successes, several publication internships, a late-life career as freelance editor, after a hospitality service career stalled due to health declines, mostly business writing services, some creative writing clients.

Life intrudes, yet the personal goal for my prose writing is close to, if not at, its wanted mark. Only publishers yet cannot see the vision. Hah! the twain shall meet for a glorious synthesis.

Look forward to fragments posted for comment, the more the merrier. Have at it with gusto and, please, as well, other contributions to the discussion that creative writing is.

Posts: 5122 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Albany
Member # 10698

- posted      Profile for Jack Albany   Email Jack Albany         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
G'day Kirsten.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse!
Posts: 4388 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disgruntled Peony
Member # 10416

- posted      Profile for Disgruntled Peony   Email Disgruntled Peony         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello and welcome. [Smile]
Posts: 733 | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kirsten.j
Member # 10779

Thank you everyone!

extrinsic - It's a doctorate (Au.D.)

tesknota
Member # 10041

- posted      Profile for tesknota   Email tesknota         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack, Kirsten! =)
Posts: 239 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delgreco
Member # 10607

- posted      Profile for Delgreco   Email Delgreco         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi and Welcome.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.