Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Just registered

Author Topic: Just registered
Wendy O
Member # 10870

- posted      Profile for Wendy O   Email Wendy O         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello.

My fingers were frozen over the keyboard for at least three minutes as I pondered what to write here. Introduce myself! One would think I'd know what to say since I am me but one would be wrong.

But, here goes. I am in the early stages of writing a memoir. I'm not sure if this site is the right place for me.

I had a short lived journalism career, quickly discovering the confines of the style felt like a noose around my neck. Hmm, maybe that is why my muse has gone into hiding, for twenty+ years!

Anyway, looking forward to poking around here to see what is goin' on.

Wendy

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 4424 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jack Albany
Member # 10698

- posted      Profile for Jack Albany   Email Jack Albany         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Jun 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Memoir, autobiography, personal essay, creative nonfiction -- much distance between each of those and yet used synonymously for one and the same. Hatrack workshop can be a boon for a writer of those if the facets of story craft are foreground. Those share fiction facets; some distinctions separate the two forms. Memoir writers who come to Hatrack looking for guidance have come at times with goals different from story craft and were disappointed.

One shared facet is drama, if dramatic. One distinction is creative nonfiction invariably entails the true self as narrator; fiction, not the self overtly. Of course, too, the writer self invariably is a presence, overt or covert and anywhere between, no matter the form or genre.

One distinction there is that memoir all but demands a writer thereof realize the form is about notable real-world events, settings and milieus, and personas. Story craft applies there, too, yet the form falls short of drama when more about a historical account than a dramatic story. Fiction invents notable, authentic, not necessarily real-world events, settings and milieus, and characters.

Our host Orson Scott Card's Milieu, Idea, Character, and Event emphasis quotient is recognizable in memoir's essential facets ("M.I.C.E." Characters and Viewpoint, pgs 62-70). Plus, "Three Questions Readers Ask" apply as well (pgs 19-21). So what? Oh yeah? Huh? Respectively, So what, why should I care? Oh yeah, I should make believe this is real? And Huh, what really happens here?

These above are not meant here as promotions of Orson Scot Card's works, nor above others' works and theories, rather, to note noteworthy contributions of our host to story craft and narrative and dramatic theories. These highlight that, as much as different forms and genres may differ, they're also much alike; the similarities are what Hatrack has on offer.

Welcome to the Hatrack River writer community.

[ February 08, 2018, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Posts: 5274 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wendy O
Member # 10870

- posted      Profile for Wendy O   Email Wendy O         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the welcome and thanks, extrinsic, for the information.

Have a great day, everyone!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Feb 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please! Poke around as much as you like. We hope you find something useful.
Posts: 8567 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tesknota
Member # 10041

- posted      Profile for tesknota   Email tesknota         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Wendy! Welcome to Hatrack! Memoir writing is writing, and that's what we're about here. =)
Posts: 252 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.