Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » It's been a while...

Author Topic: It's been a while...
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, just looked for my "recent posts" and found out it was January 2015! So three and a half years… I’m thinking that counts as a “while.” I’ve looked at the newbies and seen welcomes from a couple of names I recognize. [Smile] Hi Meridith! Hi extrinsic! I’m looking forward to getting back into it.

Life’s been a bit crazy. I did a two year experiment as a high school science teacher, and really did think that I would find time to write, silly me. But teachers only work from 7-2:30… right? I found myself working 60-80 hours every single week, and when I wasn’t working it was because I was so exhausted that I just couldn’t keep going. Still, it was a fabulous experience, and I adored my kids. But not something I could keep up for the next 20+ years. Now I’m back to engineering, freelance, and making the same money working around 20hrs/wk. So experience = fuel for writers, and time = opportunity, hence… I’m back.

I have missed you guys.

Posts: 453 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome back! The treehouse is still here. [Smile]
Posts: 4474 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several months teacher's aide and individualized tutor for grade schoolers and First Year English tutor was the most instruction work with which I could cope. Daily migraines, ingrained institutional culture cult of personality, childish tin-pot tyrant megalomania, and personal political strifes were the worst of toxic workplaces. Nothing wrong with the grade school students -- yet; the first year college students were on par with the administration and faculties' foibles and follies.

Delight when a recipient's eyes lit that a-hah! moment sparkle. Each and all, regardless of age and attitude, most benefited from self-developed questions of why? and So what? Oh yeah? and Huh? our host Orson Scott Card's three questions readers ask. Adult-age recipients' added benefits arose when given explicit permission to consciously, responsibly, critically think for the self and participate in and contribute to the conversation that is adulthood, plus, a brief primer on the Socratic method applicable to instruction.

Fertile fodder for prose expression, like life is.

Welcome again. May you realize the whirlwind!

[ July 10, 2018, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Posts: 5442 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys [Smile]
Posts: 453 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.