Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Next, Please Introduce Yourself » Silk's Introduction

Author Topic: Silk's Introduction
Silkienne Dvora
Member # 11090

- posted      Profile for Silkienne Dvora   Email Silkienne Dvora         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone.

I've been writing since I was quite young. I sent my first "novel" to the publisher when I was 9. I was devastated when I got a personal rejection signed by multiple folks and a MG novel that was doing well at the time. I was crushed. Looking back, I can't believe how fortunate I was that they sent my crayon-inscribed prose around the office and everyone got to exclaim how cute it was. Now, of course, nine-year-olds are plugged in their own palm-sized computers. Still, how many of them could figure out how to submit something without adult supervision?

I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains, not far from the Shenandoah River. I used to say I've never tasted moonshine, but I caught the white dog not too long ago. One sip was enough, thank you.

Having first published an article some thirty years ago, which was sent to the editor of a magazine because I was angry at what had been published---I wanted to show them a modern, accurate take on the subject. They sent me a check back. I regularly publish nonfiction articles, it's my fiction that I'm struggling with.

I found this site when I was looking for writing classes, more specifically, something being taught by Mr. Card as I have enjoyed his books on writing. Hopefully, I'll glean what I need from the forums! My preferred genre is fantasy, but I dabble in a few others.

Dalmatians, dressage, and driving horses are my hobbies although I earned a degree in Animal Sciences. They're also the subjects of most of my nonfiction bits. I'm divorced, have five spotted dogs and a horse. Life is quiet and almost predictable. Once upon a time I Served as a Lay Eucharistic Minister.

Cheers,
Silk

[ January 12, 2019, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Silkienne Dvora ]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Hatrack. May words never fail you and, if they do, just poke your tongue out and blow a raspberry at the world.

Phil.

Posts: 1759 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MerlionEmrys
Member # 11024

- posted      Profile for MerlionEmrys   Email MerlionEmrys         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Greetings! Have some lovely coconut cake!
Posts: 169 | Registered: Oct 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the treehouse.
Posts: 4539 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WarrenB
Member # 10927

- posted      Profile for WarrenB   Email WarrenB         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Silk! Looking forward to reading your stories (or, at least, some first 13s).
Posts: 57 | Registered: May 2018  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silkienne Dvora
Member # 11090

- posted      Profile for Silkienne Dvora   Email Silkienne Dvora         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for such a lovely welcome. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone.

And just where am I supposed to post 13 sentences?

Coconut cake in a tree house, I guess it's not snowing in your corner of the world.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jan 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Silkienne Dvora:

And just where am I supposed to post 13 sentences?

Thirteen lines--not necessarily 13 sentences--can be posted in the Fragments and Feedback sections for either short works or novels below.

If in doubt, 13 lines is exactly what fits in the posting window.

Posts: 4539 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A, or the, struggle and challenge of prose expression before all writers is management of the mischiefs between in-scene verbatim, necessary dramatic details and paraphrased summaries and explanations, especially for accomplished nonfiction creators.

Nonfiction invariably tell summarizes and explains and organizes based upon claim assertion detail and support priorities. Creative nonfiction, though, abides fiction's story craft want for verbatim, shown dramatic scenes.

Many contemporary creative writers overweight paraphrase tell at the expense of verbatim show, as that's how traditional narrative was done -- before motion pictures' verbatim portraits took away much of the audience public. That's the competition and what readers want: vivid, lustrous, lively, verbatim, silky drama, and a challenge prose can meet and exceed.

Welcome to the Hatrack River writers' community. May you realize the whirlwind!

Posts: 5750 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silkienne Dvora
Member # 11090

Thirteen lines, thanks for the clarification. I could have been in trouble right out of the starting gate if someone hadn't trained me up a little.

I've been reading various posts which interest me here and I feel like I'm slowly beginning to get to know a few of you. Some of the names stick out at the very least.

Extrinsic, I hope you find my prose as silky as anyone could imagine. I've been told my voice is somewhat unique. I think it still needs some polish. I hope all y'all have a cloth ready, and some rubbing compound at your desk side because I intend to get the most out of this forum that I possibly can!

That is, of course, until y'all get bored of me and tell me to take a hike or publish the dang thing already. I think I'll waddle over and see if anyone is intrigued by my opening.

Cheers!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.