Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Class » Good way to increase your vocabulary

Author Topic: Good way to increase your vocabulary
Khan
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Khan   Email Khan         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found an awesome excercise for expanding vocabulary out of the every day usage.

Make the longest sentece you can using words that start with the same letter and follow as many grammatical rules as you can. Repeat this for every letter in the alphabet, yes including Q and Z though they won't be very long.

After a while, you'll find yourself using words you never though you knew.

Don't get frustrates and keep at it, use a dictionary and thesaurus if you have some time.

Just for the records, my longest to date is 28 words with the letter S.

Posts: 174 | Registered: Jan 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Survivor   Email Survivor         Edit/Delete Post 
An ardently aggressive alpine ardvark and an allertly amoral Augusta alligator avidly ate an alienated albicore at an Athenian alter as an albatross accelerated across Arizona and...

Actually, this excercise can produce an indefinitely long sentence, using the letter A. B too, since it also has a connector word. Probably should include a rule against 'and', 'but', 'if', 'then', 'because', 'since', 'so', 'or', 'otherwise'...Hmmm. You know, it's an interesting exercise just to figure out all the words that can be used unfairly in this exercise.

Posts: 8322 | Registered: Aug 1999  | Report this post to a Moderator
Khan
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Khan   Email Khan         Edit/Delete Post 
you mispelled aardvark
Posts: 174 | Registered: Jan 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

I misspelled 'altar' too.
Shasta
Member # 674

- posted      Profile for Shasta           Edit/Delete Post 
Play scrabble with my mother.

That will increase anyone's vocabulary.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Oct 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Or their body counts...
Shasta
Member # 674

- posted      Profile for Shasta           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah... you've played scrabble with my mom.

Here's another way of increasing word usage:

In your daily writing practice (journal, log entry, scrabble, sentence games) Write the same sentence as many different ways as you can... keep the implied meaning the same, but don't reuse any of the words (if you can help it).

Posts: 84 | Registered: Oct 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Rahl22
Member # 1411

- posted      Profile for Rahl22   Email Rahl22         Edit/Delete Post 
I just saw this as I was rummaging through old and dying threads, and thought I'd inject a little pearl.

In his book, "On Writing", King mentions not trying to forcibly increase your vocab, as your writing will show that you're trying to show off all of your new words.

But, his advice or no, I find that the best way to increase your vocabulary is to just read incessantly.

Posts: 1621 | Registered: Apr 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kolona
Member # 1438

- posted      Profile for Kolona   Email Kolona         Edit/Delete Post 
Rahl,
King was right, I think. Similarly when people misuse a thesaurus and force all kinds of words that have no natural feel to them into their writing.

In a fiction book I read as a child, I remember one of the characters saying something I thought was rather wise, that a word isn't "yours" till you've used it three times naturally in conversation--not purposely, but when it just "comes out."

That said, I still wonder why writers are always being told to expand their vocabularies and then admonished not to use big words when small ones will do.

One of my pet peeves is the lowering of the grade levels of books. It seems to me that if the publishing industry keeps pandering to an ever more infantile audience--reading level-wise--it's working itself out of a job. How soon before Dick and Jane invade Asimov and "I Robot" becomes "I am a Robot. I can walk and run"?

To me, the industry should be lifting the bar or at least keeping it in place. If a reader must consult a dictionary once in a while or deduce the meaning of a word from its context, so be it.

The dumbing down of America scares me.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jun 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliGurl
Member # 922

- posted      Profile for SiliGurl   Email SiliGurl         Edit/Delete Post 
"King was right, I think. Similarly when people misuse a thesaurus and force all kinds of words that have no natural feel to them into their writing."

One of the best examples of this comes from Louise Cooper; don't know if she does this in all of her books, but in her series of books about Indigo, the heroine never ever ever had a problem. She always, exclusively had concondrums. Perfectly valid word, but damn! And this character never referred to a problem as a problem; "I have a concondrum... This is a mighty confusing concondrum." Who uses this word?

LOL. Anyway, sometimes simpler is better... a nickel word MAY be as effective as a word worth a dime, you know?

Posts: 306 | Registered: Feb 2001  | Report this post to a Moderator
JK
Member # 654

- posted      Profile for JK   Email JK         Edit/Delete Post 
"How do I increase my vocabulary?"
"Read."
Works for me.
JK

Posts: 503 | Registered: Sep 2000  | Report this post to a Moderator
Survivor
Member # 213

Yes, also, a conundrum isn't the same as a problem. There is no implication that the solution to a conumdrum is important, just that the conundrum itself is puzzling. Riddle would be a better synonym for conundrum than problem.
Betsy
Member # 1486

- posted      Profile for Betsy   Email Betsy         Edit/Delete Post 
So, Survivor, should we math teachers teach "conundrum solving?" Or "riddle solving?"
Liz
PS in good fun, of course

Posts: 16 | Registered: Aug 2002  | Report this post to a Moderator
Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
Stephen King says not to consciously increase your vocabulary? Nonsense. The great British author, Evelyn Waugh, said, "One forgets words as one forgets names. One's vocabulary needs constant fertilization or it will die." And Hemingway once exhorted would-be authors to read the dictionary at least three times!

Thus, I recommend the following:

1. Pry $20 from your parsimonious palms and purchase Verbal Advantage by Charles Harrington Elster from Amazon.com and spend six months reading and rereading it.

2. Read broadly: read philosophy, theology, history, and literature. This is the best way to learn how to use words correctly, and how to use them with elegance.

3. Read with a dictionary. You can't always discern the meaning of a word from its context. For example, if you were to read, "After her exciting night on the town, she felt enervated," do you know what enervated means? If not, guess and then look it up.

By the way, if you haven’t read Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh, you haven’t lived.

[This message has been edited by Balthasar (edited August 29, 2002).]

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.