Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Class » 9th Rewrite Challenge

Author Topic: 9th Rewrite Challenge
djvdakota
Member # 2002

- posted      Profile for djvdakota   Email djvdakota         Edit/Delete Post 
http://lang.thefreelibrary.com/Arabian-Nights/1-9

Greetings all.
This Challenge is ever-evolving, and recent discussions have been leaning toward a somewhat different format. Therefore, please note the following changes (first posted last month):
A new Challenge will be issued each month. BUT, deadlines will be extended to TWO months. Otherwise, all remains the same. View the guidelines below (Note they are guidelines. We have not hard and fast rules at the rewrite zone.).

For this month's Challenge we travel to Arabia for a tale from the Arabian Nights.
Have fun!

Welcome!

Several months ago, a thread in Open Discussions sparked an idea: a monthly writing challenge. And I, as if my mind had been taken over by evil aliens/demons/warlocks/government agents (pick your favorite according to personal taste), took it upon myself to administer over it.

Since then we have enjoyed the added exuberance of dozens of newbies who may be unfamiliar with the Rewrite Challenge. This post is an invitation to participate—both as WRITERS and READERS!

The rules go something like this:

1. READERS: All are invited to request Challenge submissions for their personal reading enjoyment. Comments and critiques of the stories are welcome but NOT REQUIRED!
*MAKE your request by emailing the writer directly.
*DO NOT post your request to read on this thread.
*DO NOT post comments of any kind on this thread.
*QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS may be posted in Open Discussion on the thread entitled "8th Rewrite Discussion Zone".

2. WRITERS: Re-Write the following tale from the Arabian Nights. The following is a link to read and/or download a copy of the original story.

The challenge is to rewrite the story in one, or a combination of, the following four ways:
*Twist the story to suit your own creative bent.
*Write the story in the style of another well-known author.
*Combine the tale with another tale of your choosing.
*Write a "What if…?" version—a prequel, sequel, or other, of the original tale.

3. Submit the first 13 lines of your final draft (at least 'final' as of the deadline) to this thread.
*PLEASE post pre-deadline requests for 'Process' critiques (critiques intended to help you prepare for the deadline) on your own thread in Fragments and Feedback.
*DO NOT post comments or questions on this thread.
*QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS may be posted in Open Discussions, on the thread entitled "(WHATEVER THE CURRENT NUMBER) Rewrite Discussion Zone", or by contacting Dakota directly by email.
*THE CHALLENGE is ever-evolving. Let me know how we can do it better.

4. Word limit: 5000 words

5. Deadline: Midnight EST, July 31, 2005.

6. Please, for SPAM's sake, include the word "Hatrack" in the subject line of all correspondences.

Next month: A tale from Ancient Egypt!

[This message has been edited by djvdakota (edited May 09, 2005).]

Posts: 1672 | Registered: Apr 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
shadowynd
Member # 2077

- posted      Profile for shadowynd   Email shadowynd         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, question...

quote:
2. WRITERS: Re-Write one of the following Thai myths. The following are links to read and/or download a copy of the original stories.

Are we to be able to choose from ANY of the Arabian Nights tales, or just the ones following your link? The link to the beginning of the tales is:

http://lang.thefreelibrary.com/Arabian-Nights/1-1

Susan

[This message has been edited by shadowynd (edited May 07, 2005).]

Posts: 350 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
jeduthun
Member # 2563

- posted      Profile for jeduthun   Email jeduthun         Edit/Delete Post 
I see we submit first 13 lines here, but where do we send the final drafts?
Posts: 41 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

Thanks to shadow for pointing out the typo. I just cut and paste the rules from the previous challenge and sometimes miss little necessary changes. Ah, well.

I really don't care if you want to choose another of the tales. But one of the fun things about the challenge is seeing how different writers handle retelling the same story.

As far as what happens after you submit, jeduthun, folks will ask for them. If you get around to posting your email in your profile they can simply email you--that's the usual Modus Operandi (sp?). Otherwise you'd have to post in frag and feed to attract readers.

Mostly you'll get requests from other submitters. I always request the stories, but don't always critique.

Good luck.

NewsBys
Member # 1950

- posted      Profile for NewsBys   Email NewsBys         Edit/Delete Post 
Just wanted to bump this back up and say that I am almost finished with my rewrite. I plan to post it on F&F within the week.
Posts: 579 | Registered: Mar 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
djvdakota
Member # 2002

YEAH!!!!

Just to let everyone know, we'll be taking a bit of a step back in future, reverting instead to the simpler, familiar fairy tales for our inspiration. It seems to have worked better that way.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.