Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Class » The Artist's Way Week 3

Author Topic: The Artist's Way Week 3
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Week 3: June 15-21

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Had an interesting revelation while doing the 20 questions exercise. Rather than having a childhood full of bad experiences which are stunting/degrading my creative side (blurt: assuming I have one, lol); that perhaps having moved away from home, away from my family and oldest friends, has eroded my base so that when things are a little tough, as they are now, I am more prone to drift. When I did the circle exercise last week, I really had no "friend" to include within the circle from my current life...

My artist's date yesterday bore tangible fruit as well. I went to my local B&N to browse travel guides (I'm being forced to spend a week on Kaua'i for my job). I found a real nice one, then on an impulse bought a little travel journal, figuring it might be fun to do my morning pages watching the sun rise from the beach or something. On the way home I stopped at my local wildlife preserve for a hike, and while walking, I got to thinking about the journal and came up with the idea of filling it as a series of, or one long, letter to a friend--an old friend, or at least a dear friend. Not exactly the epitome of pulitzer-caliber fiction, but for the first time in a while I'm looking forward to a writing project that isn't an assignment. I have no idea where it came from or why it appeals to me. Just roll with the synchronicity, I guess.

I'm to the point now where I'm counting even the tiniest victories, and I tallied two in the last two days.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
anyone else having motivation/ concentration problems this week? I totally tanked, don't really know why. Maybe it's unrelated to the process, but I was wondering if anyone else was struggling through this part.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

I'm struggling through this part mostly because it keeps asking me to think about my childhood, which I hated.
Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
For the most part I'm hanging with the program pretty well. Next week I'll be travelling, so keeping up will be a struggle, and I will be unable to post on here, but I will be back the following week.
Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

For my artist date this week, I went to Hobby Lobby to get some drawing supplies and a book on how to draw. I used to scribble as a kid but it's been years since I made any effort and I never really learned how. One of the exercises this week asked me to list some childhood accomplishments and I remembered winning a drawing contest in elementary school. This inspired me to pick it up again.

There's a lot more to it than I expected though. I had to get a bunch of different kinds of pencils and a couple of different erasers for textures.

I know drawing isn't writing, but I find myself thinking that if I can have more fun with my creativity and play a bit more, it will help me write better. Some of the scenes I have in mind to draw are from some of my stories. Heck, maybe I can design my own cover art for my next book.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.