Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » Flash fiction contest -- 1000 words. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Flash fiction contest -- 1000 words.
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
sheesh - I missed all this extra broo-ha-ha!

Aren't the rules supposed to be set before the competition starts?

skadder - whatever you decide to do I will try to abide by, but I may need more than a week to read and critique more stories, so if you are changing requirements please keep that in mind.

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if IB is going to critique all of them, I believe Annepin said she would, and I'll critique as well. That's guaranteed 3 crits for every person, or 2 1/2 considering I'm still new at all this.

Why not just send them all and let people vote like Annepin suggests? Should be real easy now.

I'm sure other people will crit as well so everyone is definitely going to get something out of this. Hell, like IB said, at 1,000 words a story that should be no problem.

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
OK. This is how it will go. NO FURTHER CHANGES--it's giving me a headache!

1. Send me your vote for best intro.
2. I send you all the stories.
3. You must comment on all the stories-- doesn't need to be a line crit, but you must comment on what what worked and what didn't for each story-- a few sentences at least.
4. Send me back your comments for the 3 stories you think were best and rankings for those 3 stories--I don't want to be sorting 13 crits for 13 people (169 crits!). I will forward your comments on your top 3 to the appropriate authors who received a ranking score from you.
5. When results are revealed, people will be expected to forward the other comments to the authors involved (you will be expected, as mentioned, to have written comments on the other stories), as I will publish a list of who wrote what.

Most people will be able to make some comments on the three best stories within the scoring week-- the remaining 'crits' potentially could be done more leisurely--but people should feel obligated to do them. All scores and crits(Only 3) must be recieved by me within the scoring week and by the deadline, or the scores won't count.

THATS IT.

EVEN IF YOU ALL DECIDE TO PULL OUT AND MOVE TO A DIFFERENT CONTINENT, PERHAPS GIVE UP WRITING AND LEARN JAZZ SAXOPHONE--I AM NOT CHANGING THE ABOVE.

OK.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited December 04, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited December 04, 2007).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I just realized the rules changed.

Sorry, I cannot commit to writing thirteen useful crits. I can do five or six, but not thirteen.

It's not only time, there are some stories (excessive gore or bodily excretions for example) I simply refuse to read and if such are offered I do not want to feel obliged to read them.

So I guess I'll have to drop out.

Sorry for that,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jaycloomis
Member # 7193

- posted      Profile for jaycloomis   Email jaycloomis         Edit/Delete Post 
bump

[This message has been edited by jaycloomis (edited December 04, 2007).]

Posts: 62 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's not only time, there are some stories (excessive gore or bodily excretions for example) I simply refuse to read and if such are offered I do not want to feel obliged to read them.

"I can't read this because I find it too disturbing" Is a critique. It is a short critique, but it still is one. I mean, if someone writes a story and receives nothing but comments like that, it would be just as useful.

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sakubun
Member # 5719

- posted      Profile for sakubun           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to try to write something by the deadline, but I have two projects so maybe not.

Great idea though, and a good way to get people writing.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Talespinner,

You are required to 'comment' on the stories only. A few sentences. I f you can't read one due to content--say so in your comment. It is a legitimate reason to not read it.

Also you are only required to do your top 3 for voting. The rest can be done a little more liesurely.

It would be a shame for you to leave the competition.

Adam

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited December 05, 2007).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thanks, I can do that.

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm going to try and submit too, if it's not too terribly late. December is a good month for a little flash, and I still need to practice at it (damn you EveryDayFiction!)

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Sure, I reckon we can accommodate one more--on the basis that usually not everyone gets to the finish line.

No more though. COMPETITION IS NOW CLOSED FOR APPLICATIONS.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited December 05, 2007).]

sakubun
Member # 5719

- posted      Profile for sakubun           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm out.

Too many projects this week.

Great idea and I want in on another one soon.

Posts: 72 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

quote:
I'm going to try to write something by the deadline, but I have two projects so maybe not.

You were never in! Your post sounded very indefinite, and it ended with 'maybe not' so I never put you in. Sorry.

The next guy sounded more definite so I include him.

Next time.

skadder
Member # 6757

Get your entries to me....times a-ticking.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.