Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » 13-line Challenge Week two

Author Topic: 13-line Challenge Week two
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the weeks prompt. I put it up a little early in hopes to get some more participants. Email me your thirteen by Wednesday. I hope you have fun with this one.

Rules:
• Start any place in the story you like.
• Any details not specified in the plan can be made up as long as they do not SERIOUSLY alter the story.
• Include all [i] italic and [b] bold formatting code in the text so the moderator can just cut and paste the text when he/she posts them.
• Ensure it is only 13 lines.
• Ensure is has a hook—goes without saying.
• When you have finished email it the moderator by WEDNESDAY. The moderator will then assign it number and record the authors name next to it. The moderator will then post it with the number only, not the name, in a separate thread from the story outline thread as he/she receives them. PLEASE don’t look at what other people have done until after you have sent yours to the moderator.
• Edit your work before sending it—no corrections will be made after it has been emailed and email it only once. Put your HATRACK name at the top of the 13 lines, the moderator will remove it before he posts it, replacing it with a number.
• From Thursday onward voting/analysis can begin. **No voting for yourself**.The moderator will post the list of who did which intro on Saturday.

Then a new moderator volunteers (it’s not much work)and we start again.

Story outline: CREATE YOUR OWN TITLE (Can be a hook in itself!)

Dogen (Pronounced DO-jun I cannot get the accent to work) Is eight turns old. The years on Trist are slightly longer than earth years, making him about 11-12. He is the fifth and youngest child of the Criste, which is the prominent women of his tribe. There are many tribes on this vibrant world which is a ten century old earth colony, clearly established as its own culture. Each tribe consist of a group of matriarchal leaders, and many children. The adolecent boys go off on their own to find their way in the world(hopefully a place in another tribe)
Few are chosen to stay in their birth tribe as Cheekatrice handlers which is a great honor.

Dogen is chosen as a handler, and is given a clutch of seventeen Cheekatrices. About the size of a bowling ball, these vulnerable baby birds require a bond with their handler. They require around the clock attention, There is a strong emotional tie. Each Cheek has a distinct personality.

These adorable little creatures grow to be voracious predators,Much larger than an adult human and are used the protect the tribes crops from swarms of large invading pests.(Make your own names if you want) The handlers command them in military like tactics and formations.

Trist is a mixed tech world- which is to say, they have the ability to harvest solar power, light fuels and machines, but no sophisticated electronics. Sod and stone are common building materials as there are no trees on Trist. Dogen's tribe has a large nursery greenhouse where plants are started in the damp but not harshly cold winters.

His colony had a limited harvest last season due to their having only two handlers. The Senior being a son ,Jun, much older than Dogen. Jun only has six Cheeks, but they are by far the most experienced. Jun is a tactical genius. He leads his hunters with superior skill. Jun Despises Dogen for many reasons. His Mother is second to the Criste, and he feels as many do that She should be the leader. The costly crop falure last season seems to amplify this, but a young man, or any man for that matter has no say in the social structure. He also despises Dogen for his large clutch. Having eleven more cheeks than him, he feels intimidated, and begins to feel Dogen will bring support back to the Criste.

The second Handler,Wannu, of a lesser mother, is contempt with his seemingly undeserved honor. He is very helpful to Dogen and is always giving him advice on how to manage his unwieldy new responsibility.

As the season starts, Dogens Cheeks are only just becomming adults, and he is inexperienced, but he has to face the challenge because his friend and mentor is struck with a terrible disease and his cheeks cannot be managed without him. They turn on their replacement caregivers, and eventually starve to death, just after Wannu dies.

This leaves Dogen and his bitter adversary Jun to fend off what is the worst swarms the tribe can remember.

Have Fun!

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited March 28, 2008).]

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

to fend off what is the worst sworms the tribe can remember

Lol... swarms? Storms? Worms? Or something new, roughly translated as a swarming storm of worms?

(I'm just funning you--I assume you mean swarms of the pests).

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smncameron
Member # 7392

- posted      Profile for smncameron   Email smncameron         Edit/Delete Post 
So just to clarify: Are you writing 13-lines, or an entire work?
Posts: 161 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

Just 13 lines.

Upcoming moderators:

1) Jeff M
2) Snapper
3) Kathyton
4) Annepin

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

quote:
Lol... swarms? Storms? Worms? Or something new, roughly translated as a swarming storm of worms?

Yeah...Typo... I meant swarms. Consider it corrected

quote:
So just to clarify: Are you writing 13-lines, or an entire work?

I just thought I would offer as much of the world as possible. This should make the options of starting the story more interesting, giving more to draw from.

Upcoming moderators:

1) Jeff M
2) Snapper
3) Kathyton
4) Annepin

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm in! I have never done one of these before, but sounds pretty cool.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

*Cracks whip* Just got the first submission. I expect a good amount of participants.
Oblomova
Member # 7846

- posted      Profile for Oblomova           Edit/Delete Post 
I just sent one! I hope it's the right length.

This is a great idea, by the way. I'm still rather intimidated by the other thirteen lines forum.

Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
A word of warning, unseating the current Captain Hook will not be easy. Will it Kathyton?
And don't forget to write Arrgghh when you post, Cap.

ALSO, I believe your participation would be greatly desired Kathleen Dalton-Woodbury.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited March 28, 2008).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Please don't post that you posted. It will skew the judging.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Hell.

Upcoming Moderators:

1) Jeff M
2) Snapper
3) Kathyton
4) Annepin
5) InarticulateBabbler

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Bent Tree,

Just wait until you have a few to post then no-one will know it is his.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kathyton
Member # 7780

- posted      Profile for kathyton   Email kathyton         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say anyone can win, but -- "You can't win if you don't play!" Give the poor moderator, like, 50 submissions to post in the next 5 days.

K--

Posts: 195 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Man the first five are great! I am resisting the urge to start my comments.
We need to give others time to post!

Let us know when we can BT. This challenge is great!

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I think we should have a separate competition to see if we can guess who did what. It would be easier to to guess if the person has posted on Hatrack a fair bit, but otherwise I am interested to see if you can tell a female author from a male.

Obviously no-one could confirm or deny the guessing, but it would be fun to see if you right when the mask comes off.

*** Don't peek until you have written your, though.***

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited March 29, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited March 29, 2008).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

If you want to vote on who did what send your speculations over, I'll announce the winer at the end.
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Please include your Hatrack name in the title line. It gets confusing guessing.
snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
I think we should have a separate competition to see if we can guess who did what.

Are we allowed to throw others off by guessing other hatrackers for our own?

JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
Wouldn't work, you have to send the guessing to Bent Tree. No one gets to see them until the end

Such manipulation...lol...I like it

Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

I'm beginning to think generating the synopses is the hardest part yet! Even though I'm a month away from being moderator I'm beginning to outline a set up now. As an intuitive writer, it's hard--I almost think I'll have to write the whole darn thing first!
skadder
Member # 6757

Feel the force, young Annepin. Trust your feelings.
snapper
Member # 7299

Hey BT!

You have two entry's listed as number eight.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

OOps, I'll correct it
snapper
Member # 7299

Slight change in the order of moderators. Captain Hook requested a change and lord knows I have no desire to walk the plank.

Upcoming Moderators:

1) Jeff M
2) Kathyton
3) Snapper
4) Annepin
5) InarticulateBabbler

annepin
Member # 5952

Heh! I keep waiting for these Cap'n Hook jokes to get old for me but you know what, they ain't! I'm loving them.
snapper
Member # 7299

I have read and reread the now 12 entry's to this weeks challenge. My opinion changes on which ones are the best everytime I read them. Everyone is worthy for consideration.

I can't wait to see who wins this week.

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Jeff M
2) Kathyton
3) Snapper
4) Annepin
5) InarticulateBabbler
6) Shimiqua

Oh heck,I'm in.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

I'm new to this, lol. How do you vote? And you can vote if you are in it right? Because, by the looks of it, that wouldn't leave many people to vote if you couldn't.
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Justin, Just get your comments ready on as many as you feel comfortable, then pick your top three. On wednesday when the flood gates open, the voting starts. Everyone will post. which will be ridiculously long with the amount of entries this week, but we will try to sort out the winner. Of course you can vote.
skadder
Member # 6757

Bent Tree,

According to the rules posted above participants have until (and including) Wednesday to send you the intro. Voting happens from Thursday onward when you have closed the competition.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.