Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » 13 line challenge Week 5

Author Topic: 13 line challenge Week 5
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Rules:
• Start any place in the story you like.
• Any details not specified in the plan can be made up as long as they do not SERIOUSLY alter the story.
• Include all italic and bold formatting code in the text so the moderator can just cut and paste the text when he/she posts them.
• Ensure it is only 13 lines.
• Ensure is has a hook—goes without saying.
• When you have finished email it the moderator by WEDNESDAY. The moderator will then assign it number and record the authors name next to it. The moderator will then post it with the number only, not the name, in a separate thread from the story outline thread as he/she receives them. PLEASE don’t look at what other people have done until after you have sent yours to the moderator.
• Edit your work before sending it—no corrections will be made after it has been emailed and email it only once. Put your HATRACK name at the top of the 13 lines, the moderator will remove it before he posts it, replacing it with a number.
• From Thursday onward voting/analysis can begin. **No voting for yourself**.The moderator will post the list of who did which intro on Saturday.
Then a new moderator volunteers (it’s not much work)and we start again.

Future moderators

1) Annepin
2) InarticulateBabbler
3) Just in Prose
4) Grex42

Week 5 Challenge
This outline is a little looser than the rest. It should give you more freedom of how you would like to open.
Story outline: CREATE YOUR OWN TITLE (Can be a hook in itself!)
Jerry Werner has lived alone in his isolated cabin, 20 miles from Brusset, Montana for the last fifteen years. The few people that are familiar with him call him ‘the old hippy on the hill’. He adheres to the strictest Buddhist principles, is always careful not to harm anything, and is in ‘one’ with the universe. He spends endless hours meditating. He believes that he has achieved the full goodness of man and THAT is the reason why aliens have chosen to land outside his backdoor.
Carl Harass is the Sheriff of Garfield County. He and his young impressionable deputy are the only law enforcement for fifty miles. Carl believes that Joe McCarthy was given a raw deal, Reagan was a little liberal, and the Soviet Union dissolving is just another communist conspiracy. He is convinced that an invasion is under way when he sees the alien ship land. The electromagnetic interference that makes his electronic equipment inoperable fuels his paranoia.
Jimmy Greene is Harass’s deputy. He is 18 years old, 110 pounds soaking wet, has just received his first gun, and finally past his drivers test a month ago. He always wanted more out of his life than to feed chickens. He doesn’t know what to make of the flying saucer from the sky.
Tinwliz and Bannepin are the two Beavians that are forced to land on a world full of primitives. Tinwliz didn’t make a flight plan, never installed the Interstellar Homing signal, and forgot to refuel when they left Celadon. Fortunately, Bannepin remembered to bring a translator just in case. The seven-foot, blue fur, double-jointed aliens don’t know what to make of the local sentient beings.
The Beavians now must install the spare radialian power cell. Unfortunately, that must be done outside the ship AND the spent radial power cell is highly radioactive. Of course, Tinwliz never made sure a radioactive suit was placed on the ship. They now have one of two options.
a) Change the cell and subject themselves to dangerous levels of radiation or
b) Convince the naďve primitive locals to do it for them

As always make your own title and write a 13 line intro that hooks.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Gack! I'm up next! Better start thinking up scenarios!

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are up now!
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grex42
Member # 7891

- posted      Profile for Grex42   Email Grex42         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally! A story about double jointed aliens covered in blue fur... I was wondering when we would get around to them.

I happen to know most of the Beavian's in our quadrant. I hope that if my story is more non-fiction, that it won't break any rules of this contest.

Gark is going to think this is just peachy-keen!

Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tinwliz and Bannepin are the two Beavians that are forced to land on a world full of primitives.

Do we need a disclaimer? "This story is fictitious and any resemblance to persons alive and dead is purely coincidental."

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
Do we need a disclaimer? "This story is fictitious and any resemblance to persons alive and dead is purely coincidental."

Yeah, sure. Of course annepin. Purely coincindental, or I just lack an imagination.

Oh by the way. This contest is open to everyone. New members are not only welcome, we enthusiastically encourage you to participate.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grex42
Member # 7891

- posted      Profile for Grex42   Email Grex42         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, right... ehem... there are no aliens on earth. I was only kidding. I have never met a Beavian named Gark and have never seen double jointed aliens covered in blue fur. No really...
Posts: 9 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

How about "This story is ridiculous and any resemblance to persons alive and dead is patently hilarious."

I particularly look forward to the resemblance to persons alive and dead. Nothing like zombies from outerspace to bring back good memories of Ed Wood.

Jayson Merryfield

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited April 18, 2008).]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a question - only one entry per contestant? I just had a second terrific idea.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor
Member # 7736

- posted      Profile for Doctor   Email Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you can get them to replace your original idea. I would think that only one entry per contestant is desirable because otherwise there is too broad of a field and too few votes to really get any meaningful results.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff M
Member # 7828

- posted      Profile for Jeff M   Email Jeff M         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I would suggest one entry per person per week. You've got one shot at fame and glory -- make the most of it.

I think it would be okay to replace an entry before the deadline. But keep in mind that some people may have already read and thought about the entries prior to the deadline. So if you replace yours, they'll compare the new against the original. So your replacement better be A LOT better

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
The rules state once you have sent it to the mod no alterations are made. This is to save the mod (and future mods--you may be OK about but later mods may not want the hassle) from 20 people all wanting minor editing--change this --put in a period--I forgot to capitalise that, please, please. etc.

I vote NO CHANGES. After all you decide when and what you send in in. GET IT RIGHT first time.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Seconded!
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Hey everyone,

I will close the polls in the early evening, lets say 7 PM eastern time, unless I get a request to wait for a late entry. just contact me before then.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.