Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » 13-line challenge: week 12 prompt

Author Topic: 13-line challenge: week 12 prompt
kathyton
Member # 7780

- posted      Profile for kathyton   Email kathyton         Edit/Delete Post 
I will begin posting entries sometime Monday evening, 6/23 and end posting thursday, 6/26 about 10 pm central daylight savings time (US)

Official Ship’s Rules:

• The synopsis writer (SW) sends the President or a nominated Vice-President (here after called the Committee) the synopsis on the Friday before it is due to be posted—a week early. If the synopsis has not been received, the committee will contact the next SW and request their synopsis by Sunday night. If this is not received a committee member will post a reserve synopsis.

• The ship sets sail every Friday when a new synopsis is posted by the President or one of his Vice-Presidents.

• Once the synopsis is posted, you may begin writing 13 lines (see Hatrack guidelines for ensuring it is 13 lines).

• You can begin the story from any chronological part of the synopsis.

• Any details not specified in the plan can be made up as long as they do not SERIOUSLY alter the story.

• Remember, this contest is ABOUT mastering the hook--so have one.

• The President or his nominated stand in, will assign your story a number and post it between Monday and Thursday. They will not be posted over the weekend.

• PLEASE don’t look at what other people have done until after you have sent yours to the moderator.

• Edit your work before sending it—no corrections will be made after it has been emailed, and email it only once.

• Email your entry to the President, or his nominated deputy (a post will identify any changes) by latest Thursday night (GMT in my case). Ensure any bold or italic formatting is included exactly as you would format it if you posted it on Hatrack yourself.
Example:

skadder (my hatrack nickname)

Entry # (Committee will fill in number)

Title: The Wrathful Gaze of Allah

The scout’s hand shook as he pointed to the dune. “It lies on the other side, my Lord.”
Caliph Abu Bakr eyed the dune. The cool evening breeze plucked at his robes. Yes, let’s see. He began to walk up the hot sand.
“Caliph, you must not go—it could be a desert djinn.”
“Perhaps.” Abu Bakr turned to grin at the shivering guard. “If Allah wills it so--but Allah put it here, so I will look.”
As he crested the dune he gasped. Before him, half buried in molten, glowing sand, lay a vast metal structure. To one side lay a winged creature with a body like a man. It was totally covered in intricate armour and a single crystal was set in its helm. An angel--a dead one. Then it stirred.
“Quick,” Abu Bakr shouted, “It is messenger of Allah—bring the h

This is the format that you should use to send your work in. I have not included formatting--but you should--as the above is exactly 13 lines--if yours is longer it may get cut. More detailed instructions on how to ensure your intro is 13 lines can be found here.

• I will post the competition is closed and voting can commence. If you enter you are expected to vote. People who enter and don’t vote will be mocked in a 'Walked the Plank' thread. Critting, although useful, is not required, but you are expected to identify a first, second and third, and best title.

• Future Synopsis Writers:

1) illiterate
2) skadder.
3) Annepin.
4) JustInProse
5) Unwritten

o Copy the above and add your name to the list if you wish to write a synopsis, however pay attention to point one above and try to get something ready at least a week earlier.

Your Week 12 prompt by Tiergan

4 friends go camping for the weekend. From the 90210 zip code, that’s Beverley Hills, they are “trust fund babies” never having to get a real job, or worry about money.

The summer’s smoldering heat bears down on them so they enter the lake for a quick swim. Unbelievably, a meteor crashes down into the lake. Miraculously the 4 friends survive. One is thrown miles into the air, only to fall harmlessly to the ground. Another spontaneously combusts into flames, but somehow doesn’t burn to death. Another, is hit by the meteor and buried alive, hundreds of feet below the surface, only to emerge unharmed. And the last, was left submerged in the deepest part of the lake for hours, but somehow lives.

Scared and confused. They agree not to tell anyone what has happened to them. They return home, and as the week continues, they discover they have been changed forever. Special abilities develop. Each one with their own, based on the 4 elements: earth, water, fire and air.

They discuss becoming superheroes, and decide they can do good for the world. In a heated argument, the y come to a split decision, that unlike their comic book heroes, they decide to do it behind the scenes so no one knows they exist.

Then, strange happenings occur, a crime spree has taken Beverley Hills over. The police think they are all inside jobs. But the four friends think otherwise, one of them has gone to the other side and has become a “criminal mastermind”.

But which one? Was it Jase, the 18 year old. football quarterback? Or Abe, the fun-loving frat boy at 19? 17 yrd old, Dawn, runner-up homecoming queen? Or Eric, computer whiz, and Dawn’s little brother, at 16 yrs.? And which powers did they inherit? You decide?

[This message has been edited by kathyton (edited June 19, 2008).]

Posts: 195 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
illiterate
Member # 7997

- posted      Profile for illiterate   Email illiterate         Edit/Delete Post 
One note- I just sent Adam a note, but JustinProse and I have switched, (I had posted this previously, but I'll repost)

• Future Synopsis Writers:

1) JustInProse
2) skadder.
3) Annepin.
4) illiterate
5) Unwritten

Posts: 52 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
illiterate
Member # 7997

- posted      Profile for illiterate   Email illiterate         Edit/Delete Post 
BTW..... Nice Synopsis Tiergan! Was on vacation last week. Look forward to jumping back in on this one.

[This message has been edited by illiterate (edited June 20, 2008).]

Posts: 52 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I got the note but forgot to actually make the switch. Sorry.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

In which case I need the Justin's synopsis before the end of today--or we check if the next guy (which is i this case me) is ready with theirs.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

All entries to be sent to Kathyton this week, not to me.
skadder
Member # 6757

No synopsis received from Justin Prose--so as I was next on the list I will provide the synopsis. The list of Syn-writers looks like this:

1) skadder.
2) Annepin.
3) illiterate
4) Unwritten

This means could annepin send her synopsis to me by Friday (for posting the week after.).

Volunteers to write an outline please add to the bottom of the list--we need more people. Bear in mind you ask that you send them to me a week in advance to ensure, if it fails to arrive, that we can get one from someone else in time.

Justin, if you still want to do it put your name at the end of the list.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited June 22, 2008).]

Grant John
Member # 5993

- posted      Profile for Grant John   Email Grant John         Edit/Delete Post 
1) skadder.
2) Annepin.
3) illiterate
4) Unwritten
5) Grant John

Can't let the comp die so I'll do my part, and like Annepin if things become dire I will do my part semi-regularly.

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a suitcase full of scrap story parts. Let it be known I am always willing to cough one up when the list of contributer dwindles. Since I have done two weeks I just stand back and let others get their taste, but I can fill in whenever.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kathyton
Member # 7780

- posted      Profile for kathyton   Email kathyton         Edit/Delete Post 
I will close entries and open the voting for week 12 in approximately 24 hours. We only have six entries; this could be someone's lucky week! Let's get a few more entries, to keep things interesting.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess my entry for this week got lost? Spam? I sent as of the 3:52 p.m. est, Thrusday to kathyton's email address. Did I mess up something again, I don't want to have to walk the plank.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Send it to me and I will post it for you. Kathyton went dead quiet so I closed it for her, but she may have had an entry or two waiting. Get it to me quick though--next few hours.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited June 27, 2008).]

Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.