Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » GenPet Challenge

Author Topic: GenPet Challenge
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
In case anyon missed it, I posted a link to the GenPet website. The more I perused the site, the more variety of ideas I got. So, my multi-level challenge is this:

1) Write a story triggered by, and plotted around these "pets". (The site is a detailed trigger.) Any story length (from 500 - 10,000 words) is an acceptible entry. Any Genre is acceptible. (Feel free to change the comapny name, or the description of the "pets".)

2) Skadder's idea will truly make this a challenge, so rule number two is: The first 13 lines can be only character and prose--a single reference to setting would be allowed.

3) For kickers, Bruce Holland Rogers's method of coming up with original stories is to write down the first 20 ideas that come to mind an scrap them. He says those 1st ideas are most likely to be had by others. Since--over the course of a few challenges--I have seen similarities in ideas, you must include (though, not necessarily part of the story) (amended to 10) scratched-out ideas. (A sentence long is sufficent.)

If you choose to accept, say so in this thread. The challenge will begin Friday 10/10 and end on Halloween Night (10/31). Who has the courage to head into NaNoWrMo fresh from a warm-up competition like this?

[Edited to fix the offending "h"]

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited October 08, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited October 08, 2008).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. No one's up for it, eh?
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I would have been up for a 13 line challenge, but not a complete story competition. I have too many stories on the go at present.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AWSullivan
Member # 8059

- posted      Profile for AWSullivan   Email AWSullivan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually pretty encouraged. I had initially thought: "Wow, this could be the start of a good story." Then I realized that every yahoo on this board was thinking the same thing. Judging by the lack of enthusiasm in your challenge I'm beginning to think that there might be room.

~Anthony

Posts: 374 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
No Anthony, I think its a good idea for a story too, but with NaNo coming up, the Novel group, and the WoTF I am full up.

Any other month, and I would have given it a shot.

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this "shadder" character you refer to seemed a little shady, and I didn't want to be associated with him...

Seriously, I've got my hands full, too, and many more ideas I want to write but don't yet have time. Maybe next year?

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Shadder? K and H aren't even next to each other on the keyboard--I smell a genetically modified rodent...Oh, it's my genpet.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited October 08, 2008).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting so antsy to start writing my Nano story, that I need something else to write before I blow it. I'm not quite sure this is for me though--still, I have at least a dozen ideas I could use for my 20. No promises, but I have been thinking about this more than I normally would. (I usually shy away from writing anything that feels creepy, and this definately feels creepy.)
Melanie

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

skadder:
quote:

I would have been up for a 13 line challenge, but not a complete story competition. I have too many stories on the go at present.

That's why the whole: Any story length (from 500 - 10,000 words) is an acceptible entry. <--that's roughly anywhere between 2 pages to 40.

Unwritten:

quote:
I usually shy away from writing anything that feels creepy, and this definately feels creepy.

It's only as creepy as you want it to be.

I'm going to modify the 20 ideas to 10. BHR says he writes them down as fast as he can think of them. WHat comes next will be less common.

skadder
Member # 6757

I'll have a think on it--500 words isn't much.
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Well sheesh, I'll join in.
I like the idea of scrapping my first ten ideas, since all the ones I've thought of until now aren't all that great (think Gremlins).

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
So, we cannot use any of our first 10 ideas in the story? Most of my first 10 are compatible.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Right, the first ten Ideas get submitted along with the work as "scratched ideas". When I post the thirteens, I'll make a separate post that shows which were common or uncommon ideas. (Call it a Hatrack experiment.)
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
I have my first 10 ideas! If I don't take this any further, do you want 'em anyway? (Not yet, or course; we don't want to invalidate the experiment.)
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

I'm not sure if this is still happening. If I'm the only entrant, does that mean I get to say Arg! and wear a pirate's hat too? I might need that back next week, philocinema. I'll let you know.

I'm sending my story and rejected ideas to you now IB.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

One more day to enter...

I hope I'll at least get a good many 1st ten throw-away ideas for the experiment.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

To date, there is only one entry. I'll wait for Monday to close this. Hopefully, I will at least receive more "ten ideas" for the experiment...
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Well, Unwritten wins by a landslide (and because there was no other submissions).

I haven't heard back from Zero, yet (my impartial tally-er) on the experiment. As Soon as I do, I will announce the experiment's results in a separate thread.

Congratulations, Unwritten.

Unwritten
Member # 7960

I am honored. I would go around wearing a pirate hat and saying "arg!" but I haven't gotten the hat back from philocinemas yet, and people might think I'm crazy if I say "arg!" when I'm not wearing a sailor's hat of some sort.
Melanie

[This message has been edited by Unwritten (edited November 03, 2008).]

Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry that I am so slow in coming. My exuses are two-fold.

1. I am rather busy up until the election is over with. Luckily, this is very soon.

And,

2. It is hard to make quantitative statements about comparisons that are, frankly, rather qualitative in nature. So my analysis will be rather arbitrary, I'm sorry it's unavoidable, but I will do my best.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Unwritten, I'm so sorry <reaching up and removing triangular headgear> here's the hat back. I hope your son had a backup plan for Halloween. I haven't had so much fun since visiting Long John Silvers back when I was ten years old. Of course, back then I could have done without that guy with the wooden leg who kept calling me "Jim"...but that's a different story.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

No problem. I'm glad you had fun. I borrowed my daughter's tiara and magic wand and they worked almost just as well.
Melanie

Zero
Member # 3619

Goes awry Michael Crichton-style:
[- mutant genpet grows up and has a mind of his own (intelligent)]
[- All genpets are intelligent but unable to communicate; company keeps it
under wraps since product is already shipped; tell story from a genpet's POV]
[- GenPet recall for contaminated/damaged production run--what
contaminants/damage, and what if people refuse to return them?]
[GenPets mutate into dangerous animals]
[GenPets are incredibly intelligent and decide to take over the world.]
[GenPets kill owners in their homes]
[All the creatures in a whole store wake up and cause mayhem]
[Genetic hacker tries to backward engineer a genpet but inadvertently creates a very dangerous creature--in the end it turns out to be harmless]
[GenPet at first is friendly companion, then mutates into monstrous man-eating creature.]
[GenPet becomes mysteriously sick, owner takes it to the vet.  Soon other animals begin showing illness. Owner discovers GenPet is spreading an animal zombie virus that was planted by aliens.]
[GenPets become a huge sensation (and cheap).  However, they begin multiplying in huge numbers and start to overpopulate the Earth.]
[GenPets release a pheromone that causes people to be addicted to GenPets.]
[Dead GenPets' fur becomes a fashion trend, but it starts to cause people to suffer regressive mutations.]
[Cross Gremlins with Replicants]
[Host for Parasite]

God/Biblical/Occult:
[God himself is angry and intervenes.]
[Witch-invented Soul Collectors]
[Religious activists try to kill the inventor]

Sinister:
[GenPet facility is actually a front for a plot to bioengineer humans]
[The way to make GenPets is stolen by a terrorist organization]
[GenPets are being controlled by microchip implanted in their brain by devious corporation trying to take over the world.]
[Grow your own Assassins]
[Government Spies (like Nanny Cams, but living)]
[They change your DNA to replenish their stock]
[Weapons of Mass Destruction]
[Murderous Pinocchios]

Scientific Exploration:
[Gen pet is owned by a pharmacist and it drinks something that unlocks part of its DNA that the designers thought was irrelevant.]
[Genpet goes to mars and multiplies eating through the dome material-hmmm, Star Trek?]
[DNA Programmable Spare Parts]

Alien/Extra-Terrestrial:
[GenPets are really creatures from outer space]
[They are not really genetically manipulated—they are really aliens]
[GenPet becomes mysteriously sick, owner takes it to the vet.  Soon other animals begin showing illness. Owner discovers GenPet is spreading an animal zombie virus that was planted by aliens.]
[GenPets are actually superintelligent aliens that were sent to Earth to take over the planet. However, this GenPet has second thoughts and helps to save mankind.]
[Clever Alien Invasion]

Human Interest:
[- Girl got a genpet for her birthday last year, is devestated when it dies on her next birthday; parents try to be sympathetic but don't understand(its just a broken toy, we'll get you another)]
[- Kid neglects genpet, its almost dead, and the company help-line leaves the desparate parents on hold]
[- Police arrest someone for genpet abuse/neglect, sends genpet to foster home]
[- GenPet confused with a preemie baby--lots of what-if's]
[Black market genpets: advanced model that simulates human baby]
[- Dysfunctional personality]
[- GenPets given as gifts to each of a group of children; expiration/monitors are defective, and they are all dead. The children think they are dolls and play with them while parents are aghast, imagining decomposition (maybe some of them already have a rank odor).]
[- Warehouse-style orphanage for abandoned and abused/neglected genpets. Worker is constantly on the look-out for the one she bonded with but lost. She knows she will recognize it because genpets always perk up around their owners (due to bonding). They are all so depressed; no one ever adopts them
because they can't bond again. Sheesh, this one sounds literary! Stretch a little further--she finds her genpet and it dies; its three years are up. She quits her job and buys a new one?]
[- Genpets' emotional comfort as a kind of addiction. An empty person buys lots of them to have all that adoration ready-made. He hires a service that cares for them and culls the ones about to die, to avoid any unpleasantness.]
[Religious activists try to kill the inventor]
[Old lady gets given a genpet (she is losing her marbles) by son and accidentally cooks it for supper.]
[(POV genpet) Genpet (test version) is allowed to walk around lab. Its very intelligent but can't express itself. Works on its own project a night in order to free its people. A joke on the biblical story of Moses escaping from Egypt. It creates all the plagues (or versions of them).]
[GenPet have been bioengineered with human DNA.  Owner discovers his own dead child was one of the "donors" and now the animal is displaying latent memories and understanding but is having difficulty communicating.]
[PETA fights GenPet corporation all the way to the Supreme Court.  The Court decides in favor of GenPet and that the Second Amendment also applies to vacuum-sealed boxes.]

Philosophy:
[- Factory worker questioning the ethics of his job as he puts genpets into statis/sleep and hooks them up to their packaging monitors]

Findings:

Mrs. Brown is
75% (largely) interested in human-interest angle, with a 25% (mild) interest in the catastrophe angle

Unwritten is:
90% (enormously) interested in catastrophe stories, especially relating to unexpected trouble of epic proportions, sinister plots, and/or acts of external entities such as aliens and Gods. She also has a 10% interest in the "human interest" angle, provided it is a human issue relating to a catostrophic event.

Skadder is:
40% (strongly) interested in Scientific Exploration and furthing possibilities, and 40% interested in human introspection and interest, with a slight (10%) interest in catastrophe/apparent catastrophe.

Philocinema is:
20% (moderately) interested in alien/extra-terrestrial themed stories, with a strong (60%) bias toward catastrophe fiction, and the remaineder interested in sinister plots and a dash of human interest.

IB is:
60% (very strongly) interested in sinister plots, and somewhat interested in catastrophes, with trace interests in the occult and aliens.

Note:
The categories are rather vague and arbitrary and the analysis is hugely uncontrolled, since it's 100% qualitative, however, I found that the overarching desire was to have stories themed in crisis and catastrophe, and the need to adapt and improvise to these rapid, malintentioned developments.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited November 06, 2008).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

Nobody mentioned that this challenge was going to include a free psychoanalysis. I bet you would have gotten a lot more takers if they'd known about this little perk.

Those were my discarded ideas. The idea I actually used was more of a human interest type story. I think I had so many catastrophe ideas because they are easy, and I was doing it as quickly as possible. I'm sure it's not because I am obsessed with catastrophe, although you'd never know if you could look at my life--At the moment, I'm waiting for the police to show up, because my darling 5 year old walked in the door from school and called 911 to tell them our house was not on fire. Yeah, this is the same daughter who got run over by a truck last week.

Hmmm...maybe I am obsessed with catastrophe.
Melanie

MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Zero and IB for your efforts! It was great fun generating ideas, and its cool to see what others thought of too.

My 75/25 split is near perfect--yep, that's what I like!

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Maybe "intereseted in" were the wrong words, Zero.

What I was wondering was actually how many plots are basically the same. It was supposed to be a less personal type of experiment—shouldn't have mattered who wrote the plots, but which were the most common, and how many out of those entries were original. (Remeber, it's supposed to be 20 ideas, so more could have crossed over.)

Here's what I see, how about you others? Out of 6 participants (or 51/2):

• Mutant genpet grows up and has a mind of his own—and/or decide to take over the world (4)
  • GenPets mutate/caused to mutate/cause others to mutate (6)
  • GenPet contaminated/damaged/are hosts—what if people refuse to return them? (2)
  • GenPets kill owners in their homes
  • GenPets wake up and cause mayhem (2)
  • GenPet as an alien/alien weapon (6)
  • GenPets become a danger by overpopulating the Earth.
  • GenPets causes addiction(2)
  • GenPets try to lengthen their lives in a violent uprising (2)
  • God himself is angry and intervenes
  • GenPets are witch-invented Soul Collectors
  • Religious activists try to kill the inventor(2)
  • GenPet facility is actually a front for a plot to bioengineer humans/human parts/DNA (4)
  • The way to make GenPets is stolen by a terrorist organization(Only half of a plot, to what end?
  • Grow your own Assassins (3)
  • Government Spies (like Nanny Cams, but living)
  • Genpet goes to mars and multiplies eating through the dome material
  • Girl learns about death when GenPet birthday present dies on her next birthday.
  • Kid neglects GenPet until its almost dead, and the parents get no help from the company help.
  • Police arrest someone for GenPet abuse/neglect, sends genpet to foster home
  • GenPet confused with a preemie baby
  • Children play with GenPet corpses, not realizing they should be alive.
  • Warehouse-style orphanage for abandoned and abused/neglected genpets. Worker is constantly on the look-out for the one she bonded with but lost. She knows she will recognize it because genpets always perk up around their owners (due to bonding). They are all so depressed; no one ever adopts them because they can't bond again. Sheesh, this one sounds literary! Stretch a little further--she finds her genpet and it dies; its three years are up. She quits her job and buys a new one?
  • Old lady gets given a genpet (she is losing her marbles) by son and accidentally cooks it for supper.
  • PETA fights GenPet corporation all the way to the Supreme Court. The Court decides in favor of GenPet and that the Second Amendment also applies to vacuum-sealed boxes.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited November 06, 2008).]

• BoredCrow
    Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
    Sorry, I totally slacked and forgot to work on this. I had fun reading everyone else's ideas though!
    Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    aspirit
    Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
    I'll psychoanalyze my own ten.

Aspirit is:
    80% lazy.

I wrote down 10 concepts (not all were ideas) on October 10 and didn't expand them any of them into a story. I hadn't kept up with the posts, so I assumed we were to submit the unused ideas only if we submitted a story. Oops.

My first three concepts were the most simple and common. I'm not sure that the other concepts/ideas were unique, though they don’t all match with the challenge entries.

IB, I think if you offered a similar challenge after the holidays, many of us would participate more fully. With NaNo, Thanksgiving (for American Hatrackers), holiday gift shopping, and everything else happening this time of year, I know I'll continue to find excuses to slack off on Hatrack participation until January.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
    Zero
    Member # 3619

Well... you get what you pay for.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
    Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.