Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » Ready for Market Challenge January 2009 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ready for Market Challenge January 2009
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to thank everyone, too, for contributing, and for the constructive, open fashion of crits.

The Feb challenge thread will be open shortly ...

Cheers,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempest
Member # 8242

- posted      Profile for tempest   Email tempest         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for taking so long....

City of Night

Overall: 6
I enjoyed this story. It seemed a little flat though. I enjoyed some interesting word choices and descriptions.

Character development: 4
The characters were likeable but I wished to know more about their motives to make the story clearer. I think there could be more depth here.

Plot: 4
Moved along well, but it was a sort of series of events. I would've enjoyed more development of feeling (maybe just me).

Satisfactory Ending: 7

Milieu: 7
Some really nice description in the city.

Willing suspension of disbelief: 6
I kept wondering why it was important to find the city and the Vorestos.

Unique: 7

Writing style: 5
I found it engaging but a little 2 dimensional.

Understandability: 6
The part with Oshren was a bit confusing to me- was he really there or just his account on the stone, had to go back and clarify it in my mind. Otherwise, fine.

Dialog: 4
The dialog to me seemed too formal for two people who'd been friends for a while.

Action: 6
Moved along well. I liked the magic,and enjoyed the fight scene with the monsters in the city.
-------------------------------------------

The Other Body

Overall: 8
I enjoyed the fluid writing, fast pace and suspense.

Character development: 6
Beth was a bit of a shallow character for me. Since it was fast paced I didn't expect alot of background on her but I wondered why she would so willing leave school to go with him.

Plot: 8

Satisfactory Ending: 8
I appreciate that Eddie has worked out his memories, but it was a bit of a downer that he has to go to jail for something he wouldn't do. It seems that if 2fers are known about, that there would have been special cases, perhaps even laws just for these sorts of things. JMO

Milieu: 8

Willing suspension of disbelief: 6
See comments on satisfactory ending. Also I still am not clear how the two bodies work.

Unique: 8

Writing style: 9
It flowed along so nicely.

Understandability: 7
Stuck on how the two body thing works, but it didn't detract too much from the story.

Dialog/Action: 8
I was particularly impressed with how dialog and action in two separate locations was handled.

C L Lynn and Nick T - I am still reading. Hopefully by friday I will put them up.

tempest~

Posts: 171 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempest
Member # 8242

- posted      Profile for tempest   Email tempest         Edit/Delete Post 
Mists of Blackfen Bog

Overall: 9
This was a nicely developed, well-paced story. I particularly enjoyed the rich language and descriptive quality of the writing.

Character development:7
I like the way Imaen is developed. Some of the characters in the village were difficult for me to keep track of (Rook, Reed, Fallow).

Plot: 8

Satisfactory Ending: 8
I was prepared to accept Imaen moving on the the next life, but even better when she was sent back by her benevolent god.

Milieu: 8
A rich description woven with texture.

Willing Suspension of Disbelief: 8

Unique:7
I recognized some elements from other things I've read but they were tucked in and fit. Unique enough.

Writing Style: 9
I enjoyed the style greatly. It was nice to read a well done first person POV.

Understandability: 8

Dialog/ Action: 8
Moved along well and genuinely.

War Memorial

Overall: 6
Interesting story, though not really the type of story I would be inclined to read. I found some of the phrasing a bit awkward at times, but well developed.

Character development: 6
I would have like a little deeper development of character, although I appreciated the way it was shown more than told. Lamar was really the only character to have any depth.

Plot: 6

Satsifactory Ending: 5
I really expected Lamar to kill off the girl, she seemed to embody the war he was waging. Perhaps, though, with all his high-tech stuff turned off, he was still human enough.

Milieu:5

Suspension of disbelief: 5
I had a little trouble with the disease. Perhaps it is just my limited knowledge about such things.

Unique: 7
I thought the idea of brewers was very unique.

Writing style: 6

Understandability: 7

Dialog/Action: 6
They seemed to move the story along well enough

tempest~

[This message has been edited by tempest (edited February 07, 2009).]

Posts: 171 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.